Dokic withdraws from Australia Fed Cup tie

MELBOURNE - Troubled Australian tennis star Jelena dokic has withdrawn from next month’s Fed Cup clash with Spain.



By (AFP)

Published: Fri 22 Jan 2010, 8:59 AM

Last updated: Mon 6 Apr 2015, 8:58 AM

Dokic, who struggled to control her emotions as she was bundled out of the Australian Open in the first round on Monday, told Tennis Australia she would not be available for the World Group II tie in Adelaide.

Writing in her local newspaper column on Friday, the 26-year-old said she needed to a break from the spotlight to regroup and resurrect her career.

“With the way everything is and the pressure, it’s best if I don’t play,” she said. “Not because of me, but because of the team.

“I don’t want to let the team down. I don’t think mentally I would be up to playing singles.”

Dokic said she she felt an enormous weight “crashing down on her shoulders” when she walked onto court for her first round Australian Open match.

A year earlier she stunned the tennis world by reaching the quarter-finals here after being given a wildcard.

But the former world number four, who has battled off court distractions including severign ties with controversial father Damir, vowed to bounce back.

“I have had a lot to deal with in my career but I am not done yet,” she wrote. “I will be back.”

Dokic had returned to the Fed Cup fold after her Australian Open run last year.

In her absence, veteran Alicia Molik and Casey Dellacqua, both on the comeback trail, and doubles specialist Rennae Stubbs join world number 13 Samantha Stosur in the Australian squad.

The Spanish team includes three top-40 players in Anabel Medina Garrigues, Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez and Carla Suarez Navarro.


More news from Tennis