T10: 'Champion' stuff from Maratha Arabians

Top Stories

T10: Champion stuff from Maratha Arabians
Maratha Arabiansplayers celebrate with their trophy after winning the Abu Dhabi T10. (Photo by Ryan Lim)

Abu Dhabi The Arabians, lost just one game en route to clinching the third edition of the League at the Zayed Cricket Stadium

By James Jose

• Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Mon 25 Nov 2019, 10:08 PM

Last updated: Tue 26 Nov 2019, 12:15 AM

It was 'Champion' stuff from Dwayne Bravo and his men and the West Indian said that the Maratha Arabians' successful campaign in the Aldar Properties Abu Dhabi T10 League was not down to a single individual but the whole group.
The Arabians, lost just one game en route to clinching the third edition of the League at the Zayed Cricket Stadium.
And although Australian Chris Lynn aced this tournament with bucket loads of runs, it was the team ethic that contributed to their happy storyline. "The beauty of this squad is that it is not one individual," said Bravo.
"When all of us put our thinking caps on and we come together to come up with a game plan, we stick with it. I'm the captain, yes, but it's not all my way, all my decisions. I have experienced guys who have a lot of knowledge and I lean on these guys for information and advice. I think that's the main reason we were so successful throughout this tournament.
"We lost the first game but it was a way for us to learn how to play this game. It's a pattern and I think we are the only team in the tournament to play with that pattern," he added.
Bravo, who joked that he should now be addressed as 'Mr Champion,' spoke very highly of Lynn, who won the Best Batsman award and was also adjudged the Player of the Tournament.
"Most credit must be given to this guy on my right, the way he played and he showed the world that he is still the best white-ball batsman in the world. He single-handedly dominated the game and through the tournament, he put a lot of fear in the opposition," Bravo said.
Meanwhile, Lynn pointed out that communication was also a major factor, and it was even more vital in a format so short.
"I think the biggest thing for us was our communication. Right from day one Andy Flower (coach) and Dwayne set the standard that communication would be key, especially in a tournament that's so short, with the players we haven't played with. We gelled really nicely and we executed to a tee out in the middle," said Lynn.
Speaking about the final against the Gladiators, Bravo said that the leadership group had a talk about how to go about it.
"Coming into this game (final), this is the first time we had to play against them. We had a casual meeting with myself, Chris Lynn, (Lasith) Malinga and the coach (Andy Flower) on how we want to go about playing this game.
"As you see, we went against our usual plan. We normally win the toss and bat first. But we felt that their batting line-up is stronger than their bowling line-up.
"And with our strength in our bowling, if we could put them in and get a couple of early wickets and restrict them, I don't see them making more than 105 or 110. They made less than that and we executed our game plans," revealed Bravo.
james@khaleejtimes.com

More news from