Local Sports
Logo

T10: Bigger boundaries in Abu Dhabi will protect bowlers, says Fleming

Rituraj Borkakoty/Dubai
Filed on November 13, 2019
Coach Stephen Fleming with former Indian fast bowler Zaheer Khan during a training session in Dubai. (Delhi Bulls team)

The Delhi Bulls coach has already started his training sessions with the players in Dubai for the Abu Dhabi T10 (November 14-24)

For a man whose vision and inspirational leadership helped New Zealand punch above their weight, Stephen Fleming is ready to have another shot at T10 glory.

The Delhi Bulls coach has already started his training sessions with the players in Dubai for the Abu Dhabi T10 (November 14-24) which will kick off with a spectacular opening ceremony on Thursday at the magnificent Zayed Cricket Stadium.

But having his players in peak conditions ahead of the big event is more important for the former Kiwi captain.

"The training session have been good. It's been only two days now. But it's good to get the training underway. It's good to have a smaller group to start with - players that you haven't met before - rather than having 16 players on your doorstep straightway," Fleming told Khaleej Times on Tuesday.

Around eight Delhi Bulls players have already arrived in Dubai for the tournament.

Zaheer Khan, Angelo Mathews, Kusal Perera, Ravi Rampaul and Paul Stirling are among the biggest names to have arrived in Dubai.

"Some of the players are coming from their international assignments and then some of the other players haven't played much cricket in recent times. So you have to accommodate the different needs," Fleming said.

The beautiful Dubai weather has also helped the team in training.

"I am very happy with the weather conditions. It was very pleasant last night. It's pretty nice, beautiful climate, beautiful conditions to play cricket now," Fleming smiled.

The Chennai Super Kings coach then opened up about playing in Abu Dhabi as the third season of the tournament moves to the Capital after two successful seasons in Sharjah.

And Fleming felt the bigger boundaries in Abu Dhabi will offer the bowlers a bit more protection.

"We are not sure about what the playing conditions could be in Abu Dhabi, but you know, it's a bigger ground than the Sharjah stadium, so that should give the bowlers a little bit more protection," he said.

"The bowlers will get a bit more opportunity to contain the batsmen and also the fielding side will get more opportunities to stay in the game. We are looking forward to it and I think that balances out the game a bit.

"Also, it's a beautiful stadium in Abu Dhabi, so it's a great ground to play on. There is a always a bit of a breeze on that ground with bigger boundaries, so I think it will be good."

And it's only going to get better for the Delhi Bulls now that Angelo Mathews has joined the team.

"To have someone like Angelo is very important because of the unavailability of the Pakistani players, Angelo was unlucky not to be picked in the Draft first time around, but we are pleased to get him in our team now. To get a player like him is a bonus.

"Overall, I am really happy with the team I have got. The only thing is that I am a bit disappointed that we had to make a few changes. I think it's the same with the other teams as well because of the question mark over the availability of the Pakistan players. So, Pakistan need to decide whether their players are available or not. They need to make a clear decision so the teams could move on."

rituraj@khaleejtimes.com

ERROR: Macro /ads/dfp-ad-article-new is missing!
MORE FROM Sports
MORE FROM Khaleej Times
CurrentRequestUnmodified: /uae-team-emirates-ulissi-finishes-third macro_action: article, macro_profile: , macro_adspot:

KT App Download
khaleejtimes app

All new KT app
is available
for download:

khaleejtimes - android khaleejtimes - ios