Top tips to excel with your personal statement
The past year has certainly been a rollercoaster! As normality returns, now is the perfect time to ensure you have an outstanding university application! Our Student Recruitment experts share their top tips on standing out from the crowd!
1. Be organised! Do your research; when are the deadlines? Do you need to attend interviews? Ask someone you trust to proofread and give feedback on your statement and application - this is your future and not something you should rush at the last minute.
2. Extra-curricular activities count! Universities are looking for more than just good grades. Can you demonstrate you are a well-rounded person? Do you have hobbies? Do you hold a position of responsibility at school? Do you volunteer? Have you got work or internship experience?
3. Can you demonstrate a genuine interest in your subject? If you're drafting a personal statement, are you showing passion for your field of study? Are there any projects you have undertaken that you can talk about, or additional books that you have read of your own initiative? Make sure you talk about what excites you about studying and your goals and aspirations.
4. Highlight your interpersonal skills. It's not just about academic excellence, it's also about the softer skills and critical thinking you have developed whilst studying. What are your strengths? Do you enjoy presenting, leadership, teamwork, independent investigation, analysis?
5. Show excitement about your chosen institution. What could you contribute to the student community? Is there something specific that appeals to you?
6. Play to your strengths! Now is the time to convince your preferred university that you would be an excellent addition to their student body. It's not the time to be modest, but don't be tempted to exaggerate or be dishonest about your abilities and achievements, saying you speak fluent French when you are unable to hold a conversation in the language!
7. Get those applications in. You've got to be in it to win it, so be confident and bold. What's the worst that can happen?
You'll spend the next few years of your life at university, it's where you'll make life-long friends and develop key experiences and skills, so choose wisely! Once you've made that step, do all you can to ensure your application is strong so you stand a good chance of spending this amazing time at a place you really want to be.
Join one of our Open Days for more Personal Statement and application tips!
The EIBFS is a regional leader in the world of banking and finance
In the midst of its Golden Jubilee year, the UAE is also celebrating... READ MORE
The new structure will be applicable for all current and new students at the Australian University
LACC produces the best of students from across the globe
Rulers have ordered Taraweeh prayers to be shortened from 20... READ MORE
The kingdom's moon sighting committee had met earlier today to spot... READ MORE
Certain restrictions imposed in the UAE for people who’re not... READ MORE
Meghan will not attend as she had been advised not to travel by her... READ MORE