Halep survives Destanee scare

Halep survives Destanee scare
Simon Halep won 7-6 (7/5), 6-1 in Melbourne on Tuesday.

Melbourne - World number one now faces a mouth-watering clash against Canada's Eugenie Bouchard


Published: Tue 16 Jan 2018, 9:19 PM

Last updated: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 5:18 PM

World number one Simona Halep had to come from 5-2 and a set point down against Australian teenager Destanee Aiava to win a dramatic first-round match 7-6 (7/5), 6-1 in Melbourne on Tuesday.
"I was actually stressed a little bit because two years in a row I lost first round, so I didn't want to do the third one," admitted Halep. "She's going to be good in the future. But I'm really happy that I could win the first round. Was really important," added Halep.
But the fearless teenager's charge to the first set in her first appearance on Rod Laver Arena came to a dramatic halt as she called for a medical timeout at the change of ends, complaining of breathing problems.
After her blood pressure and pulse were taken she departed for further treatment.
On her return she managed to get to set point on the Romanian's serve, but once Halep held the tide turned.
Aiava was still dazed and even tried to change ends at 5-3 in her confused state until the umpire gently ushered her back.
"I think she didn't know what's the score," said Halep.
"I think she thought it's set when she took the medical. The medical maybe helped me. I was lucky a little bit."
Halep showed little of the form which helped her to the Shenzhen title two weeks ago but used her all experience to extend the rallies and force the ailing Australian to dig deep.
Halep eventually forced a tiebreak and finally squeezed over the finish line 7-5 in the tiebreaker to snatch a marathon first set after 73 minutes.
After racing into a 2-0 lead to start the second there was more drama when Halep rolled her ankle horribly chasing down a backhand and fell to the ground needing immediate attention from the physio.
But when she returned with her right ankle newly taped she immediately broke Aiava for 3-0, a moment greeted by almost silence from the home supporters who badly needed to be lifted by the fast-fading Aiava.
But it wasn't to be as Halep got to the second round for the first time since 2015.
"I felt a big pain on court, but I didn't have time to go to check it," Halep said of her ankle. "My ankles are not good."
She now faces a mouth-watering clash against Canada's Eugenie Bouchard, a former semi-finalist in Melbourne and Roland Garros, and a finalist at Wimbledon in 2014 after beating Halep in the semi-final - the last time the pair met.
"We didn't play together since long time. Wimbledon semi maybe. So long time ago," said Halep.
"I know that she's staying at the baseline. She tries to hit very fast. I have to do also the same game." 

More news from