Medvedev takes second spot in rankings behind Djokovic
The Russian was elevated to second spot thanks to his title win in Marseille on Sunday
Daniil Medvedev moved into second place in the ATP rankings on Monday, overtaking Rafael Nadal.
The 25-year-old Russian, who was beaten by world number one Novak Djokovic in this year’s Australian Open final, was elevated to second thanks to his win in the final of the Marseille tournament on Sunday.
His 6-4, 6-7 (4/7), 6-4 victory against Pierre-Hugues Herbert made him just the fifth player to occupy the number two spot in the 16 years since July 2005.
Apart from Djokovic and Nadal, only Roger Federer and Andy Murray have held the position in that time.
Djokovic last week broke Federer’s record for the number of weeks spent in the top spot.
ATP rankings as of March 15:
1. Novak Djokovic (SRB) 12008 pts
2. Daniil Medvedev (RUS) 9940 (+1)
3. Rafael Nadal (ESP) 9670 (-1)
4. Dominic Thiem (AUT) 8625
5. Stefanos Tsitsipas (GRE) 6765
6. Roger Federer (SUI) 6375
7. Alexander Zverev (GER) 5635
8. Andrey Rublev (RUS) 5011
9. Diego Schwartzman (ARG) 3640
10. Matteo Berrettini (ITA) 3453
11. Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP) 2910 (+2)
12. Denis Shapovalov (CAN) 2865 (-1)
13. David Goffin (BEL) 2795 (+1)
14. Gael Monfils (FRA) 2770 (-2)
15. Pablo Carreno Busta (ESP) 2630 (+1)
16. Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) 2620 (+1)
17. Fabio Fognini (ITA) 2530 (+1)
18. Felix Auger-Aliassime (CAN) 2516 (+1)
19. Milos Raonic (CAN) 2450 (-4)
20. Cristian Garin (CHI) 2385 (+2)
Ziyech scored in the 55th minute when he tapped into an empty net... READ MORE
The leg spinner snap up three wickets in 13-run win READ MORE
Eighth-seed Rublev of Russia, having shocked Nadal in the quarter-... READ MORE
It was Wolfsburg’s first defeat at home this season READ MORE
Qureshi asks missions to take the community’s problems... READ MORE
Abu Dhabi Police urge public to avail such services from government-... READ MORE
Philip, who died on April 9 aged 99, was interred in the Royal Vault... READ MORE
Former Covid patients no longer need to wait three months to get the... READ MORE