Royal Ascot more than halves prize money due to pandemic
The prize money has been amended to £3.68 million after initially announcing more than £8 million last December
The prize money for this month's Royal Ascot, which will be run without spectators from June 16-20, has been more than halved due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Organisers had said last December that more than eight million pounds ($10.08 million) would be offered with the meeting hosting million pound races for the first time.
On Thursday they announced amended prize money of 3.68 million pounds.
Ascot Racecourse chief executive Guy Henderson said in a statement that 2020 had been set to be a landmark year before the "unprecedented times".
"Some 70% of our annual income comes from public admissions, including hospitality," he said.
The eight Group One races will each be run for 250,000 pounds.
The Kiwis stunned South Africa by four wickets with just one ball to... READ MORE
Liverpool visit second-placed Manchester City in the league on... READ MORE
At the peak of Jayawardene's career, international cricket was... READ MORE
Ozil was left out of the squad for the defeat by Manchester City READ MORE
Authorities have advised residents to strictly follow preventive... READ MORE
Abu Dhabi to reopen some beaches, parks from July 3. Visitors need to ... READ MORE
Babies safe and healthy; mounting hospital bills worry family as... READ MORE
The reopening procedures involve developing appropriate solutions for ... READ MORE