N. Korea submarine missing

N. Korea submarine missing
South Korean and US soldiers take a position during a joint military landing exercise in Pohang, South Korea's southeast coast, on Saturday. - AFP

Seoul - Pyongyang warns of retaliation as US-South Korea hold joint military exercise



By AFP/Reuters

Published: Sat 12 Mar 2016, 11:00 PM

Last updated: Sun 13 Mar 2016, 1:00 AM

 A North Korean submarine is missing, reports said on Saturday, as the reclusive state issued a fresh threat of retaliation against US and South Korean forces involved in joint military drills.
The unknown class of vessel had been reportedly operating off the North Korean coast earlier in the week when it disappeared.
A South Korean defence ministry said Seoul was investigating the reports. Pentagon officials declined to comment on the matter.
The US military had been observing the submarine off the North's eastern coast, CNN said, citing three US officials familiar with the incident.
American spy satellites, aircraft and ships have been watching as the North Korean navy searched for the missing sub, the report added.
The US is unsure if the missing vessel is adrift or whether it has sunk, CNN reported, but officials believe it suffered a failure during an exercise.
The US Naval Institute (USNI) News said the submarine was presumed sunk. "The speculation is that it sank", an unidentified US official was quoted as telling the USNI News. "The North Koreans have not made an attempt to indicate there is something wrong or that they require help or some type of assistance."
North Korea's navy operates a fleet of some 70 submarines, most of them being rusting diesel submarines that are capable of little more than coastal defence and limited offensive capabilities.
Meanwhile, US and South Korean troops staged a big amphibious landing exercise on Saturday, storming simulated North Korean beach defences.
The landing and assault drills on South Korea's east coast were part of eight weeks of joint exercises between the allies which the South has said are the largest ever. The North has denounced the exercises as "nuclear war moves" and threatened to respond with an all-out offensive.
About 55 US marine aircraft and 30 US and South Korean ships, including the USS Bonhomme Richard and USS Boxer, which carry AV-8B Harrier attack jets and V-22 Osprey aircraft, took part in the assault on beaches near Pohang city, the US navy said.
The North's military said it was prepared to counter the US and South Korean forces "with an ultra-precision blitzkrieg strike of the Korean style".
The official KCNA news agency, citing a statement from military chiefs, warned of a "pre-emptive retaliatory strike at the enemy groups" involved in the joint US-South Korean drill.
Pyongyang added it planned to respond to the drills with an "operation to liberate the whole of South Korea including Seoul" with an "ultra-precision blitzkrieg".
Meanwhile, South Korea's defence ministry urged Pyongyang to stop making threats or further provocations. 


More news from Rest of Asia