Narratiive Tags - Khaleej Times Desktop
Saudi Arabia
Logo
 

Holy sites in Saudi gear up for Haj pilgrims

Web Report
Filed on July 10, 2020
Saudi, Haj, Holy sites, Mina, Arafat, Makkah, covid-19

Preparations are under way to set up pilgrims' grouping areas and checkpoints at various entry points to the holy city of Makkah.

Saudi Arabia has put in place stringent health and safety measures as the holy sites of Mina, Arafat and Muzdalifah prepare to receive Haj pilgrims on July 19.

The Kingdom decided to allow only 10,000 domestic pilgrims to perform Haj this year, of which 70 per cent will be expatriates and remaining 30 per cent Saudi nationals. Only those pilgrims with Haj permits will be allowed. Last year, around 2.5 million foreign and domestic pilgrims had performed Haj.  

According to Saudi Gazette, maintenance and repair works of roads and streets as well as tents at the holy sites of Mina, Arafat and Muzdalifah have been completed and arrangements made for pedestrian passages to Jamarat and entry and exit points of the tent city.

Preparations are under way to set up pilgrims' grouping areas and checkpoints at various entry points to the holy city of Makkah.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Finance is finishing the major portion of the works of the western courtyards of the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah. At present, work is afoot to link sound and electronic systems between the Prophet's Mosque and the courtyard, which has a capacity to accommodate more than 80,000 worshipers.

Earlier this week, Saudi Arabia announced that gatherings and meetings between pilgrims are banned and it is mandatory for pilgrims as well as organisers to wear masks all the time.


ERROR: Macro /ads/dfp-ad-article-new is missing!
MORE FROM Region
MORE FROM Khaleej Times
CurrentRequestUnmodified: /region/saudi-arabia/holy-sites-in-saudi-gear-up-for-haj-pilgrims macro_action: article, macro_profile: , macro_adspot:
 
 
 
 
 
 
KT App Download
khaleejtimes app

All new KT app
is available
for download:

khaleejtimes - android khaleejtimes - ios khaleejtimes - HUAWEI AppGallery