MENA
Logo
 

US slams Iran-backed Houthis for snubbing UN envoy

AP/Washington
Filed on May 7, 2021
Tribesmen loyal to Houthi rebels raise their weapons during a protest in Sanaa. — AP file

Yemen's Houthi rebels refused to meet with a senior UN official to discuss ending the country’s devastating conflict


The Biden administration lashed out at Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels on Friday for refusing to meet with a senior UN official to discuss ending the country’s devastating conflict and speeding humanitarian relief to suffering civilians.

The State Department said in a statement that the Houthis had “passed up a major opportunity” by rejecting a recent offer to speak with UN special envoy Martin Griffiths in Oman. Griffiths had been travelling in the Middle East earlier this week and was accompanied for part of the time by US envoy Timothy Lenderking, other senior administration officials and members of Congress.

The department said other parties to the conflict, including the internationally recognised government of Yemen, are ready to discuss a peace proposal. It said the Houthis should immediately engage with Griffiths to consider the peace plan, calling it “a fair deal on the table that will bring immediate relief to the Yemeni people”.

The department said the Houthi position was making what is already the world’s most dire humanitarian crisis even worse, particularly in Yemen’s Marib region where they are currently conducting an offensive.

“Contradictory to their pronouncements regarding the humanitarian situation in Yemen, the Houthis worsen it by continuing to attack Marib and exacerbating dire conditions for already vulnerable, internally displaced Yemenis,” the statement said. “With the growing international consensus and momentum toward ending the conflict in Yemen without further delay, all parties must engage with the UN Special Envoy and address the proposal that is on the table, for the sake of the Yemeni people.”

The statement was the latest in a series of Biden administration rebukes against the Houthis, who have intensified their attacks in recent months despite the administration removing them from the US list of “foreign terrorist organisations” in February. That move reversed the Trump administration’s designation of the Houthis in January and was aimed at improving humanitarian relief distribution to Yemeni civilians.

The conflict in Yemen began with the 2014 takeover of the capital of Sanaa by Houthis. A Saudi-led coalition allied with Yemen’s exiled government has been fighting the rebels since March 2015.





ERROR: Macro /ads/dfp-ad-article-new is missing!
MORE FROM Region
MORE FROM Khaleej Times
CurrentRequestUnmodified: /apps/pbcs.dll/article?avis=KT&date=20210525&category=ARTICLE&lopenr=210529332&Ref=AR&profile=1027 macro_action: article, macro_profile: ,1027,1016 macro_adspot:
 
 
 
 
KT App Download
khaleejtimes app

All new KT app
is available
for download:

khaleejtimes - android khaleejtimes - ios khaleejtimes - HUAWEI AppGallery