How to maintain oral hygiene whilst fasting
Dentists recommend rinsing of mouth with water or mouthwash
Maintaining good oral hygiene is an important part of daily routine, even when fasting. Oftentimes, the process of fasting, especially avoiding drinking anything during daylight hours, can cause the development of oral bacteria, leading to foul breath.
Dentists recommend rinsing of mouth with water or mouthwash. They explain that technically this will not break the fast as long as you DO NOT swallow any liquid. However, if one is not comfortable with this practice, there are traditional ways of maintaining oral hygiene without the need for toothpaste or even added water. Try using miswak sticks - the soft bristles on either end of the twig can be used to clean the teeth.
For more advice on how to maintain a healthy mouth during the holy month, here are some tips from Rachael England, dental hygienist at Dentist Direct in Dubai. By the way, their clinic is offering 20 per cent discount for new patients on dental hygiene treatments until Eid al-Fitr.
1. Dehydration can lead to bad breath or halitosis, so it is important to drink plenty of water during non-fasting hours and avoid dehydrating things such as caffeine and excess salt.
2. Tooth brushing should be carried out twice a day, I recommend brushing and interdental cleaning just before sleeping and again after Suhoor. Most mouth odor comes from the tongue, so use a tongue scraper daily.
3. Avoid a heavy dose of sugary foods at Iftar, break your fast with dates and water and try to consume more fruit and vegetables which will encourage good overall health too.
4. Meditate on stopping smoking, reducing the nicotine intake during the day gives an ideal opportunity to think about stopping altogether.
5. Mouth wash can dry the oral tissues out, try using an oral pro-biotic to replenish the healthy bacteria and maintain good dental health.
6. Remember to see your dentist and hygienist regularly and keep up the virtues learned from fasting throughout the year.
The world fair has several of its pavilions designed with children... READ MORE
The Nafis programme aims to increase the number of UAE nationals in... READ MORE
PM Imran Khan took the initiative after meetings with leaders of... READ MORE
Residents recall how they had to sometimes postpone meetings because... READ MORE