The month of March will mark the end of the winter season in the UAE, as temperatures are expected to increase gradually going forward — especially during the last ten days of the month, according to weather forecasters.
Listen to this story and more on 8@8 with David Light
A climate summary report for March, issued on Sunday by the National Center of Meteorology (NCM), said: “March 21 is geographically taken to mark the first day of spring equinox when the sun's direct rays are perpendicular to the Equator and the apparent motion of the sun moves north toward the Tropic of Cancer.”
During March, the country will still be affected by westerly waves passing across the Arabian Gulf, associated with upper air troughs. “It may deepen at times over the area, causing unstable weather conditions accompanied by cumulonimbus clouds, rain and fresh to strong winds, leading to widespread dust and rising sand with poor horizontal visibility — especially over open areas,” said the report.
According to the forecasters, March will also see the eastern part of the country, especially the mountains, influenced by Indian monsoon low-pressure systems, leading to the development of cumulonimbus clouds, with thunder and rain — the effect of which may extend to the internal areas with rain at different intensities.
There will be southeasterly to southwesterly winds during late night and morning, changing to northwesterly to northeasterly during afternoon and evening, due to sea breeze and land breeze circulation.
Humidity will decrease slightly during March compared to February, especially during the second half of the month. Mean relative humidity will be 52 per cent with chances of fog/mist formation over scattered parts of the country.
Fun facts and climate statistics for March
• Mean air temperature ranging between 22 and 24°C.
• Mean maximum air temperature ranging between 27 and 31°C.
• Mean minimum air temperature ranging between 16 and 19°C.
• Highest maximum temperature reached 43.1°C at Saih Al Salem & Sweihan in 2018.
• Lowest minimum air temperature fell to 1°C at Jabal Jais in 2019.
• Mean wind speed: 13 km/hr.
• The highest wind speeds of 123 km/hr were recorded at Dalma in 2020.
• Mean relative humidity: 52%
• Mean maximum relative humidity ranging between 71% to 84%.
• Mean minimum relative humidity ranging between 19% to 33%.
• In 2010, March showed the highest frequency of fog with 15 occasions of fog and 4 misty days.
The highest-ever amount of rain recorded during March was 300mm in Al Shiweb in 2016.
Currently, adult visitors to the United States who are not citizens or permanent residents must show proof of vaccination before boarding their flight
There will be a decrease in temperatures today
Abdul Hameed Paika, who hails from Kasargod in Kerala, arrived in the Emirates eighteen years ago and has been collecting memorabilia ever since
At one point, Nick got an injury in the middle of the desert and had to fashion his socks into a bandage
The Portugal captain moved to Saudi Arabia on a free transfer after his Manchester United contract was cancelled by mutual consent
Total active cases stand at 14,299
Meydan a happy hunting ground for James Doyle