UAE to get largest water desalination plant in the world
Abu Dhabi develops new policies to enhance water security through 9 desalination plants.
Water security has been a major priority for Abu Dhabi. The emirate has always been seeking the best methods to optimize the use of water resources.
Now, the Abu Dhabi Department of Energy (DoE) is enhancing the water security of the emirate by developing fresh policies and regulations to support the sector.
The DoE will also improve the performance of its desalination plants to ensure secure and sustainable water supplies through nine of its plants which have a production capacity of around 1.3bn cubic metres of water per year.
The capital is also working on establishing the world's largest desalination plant at the Al Taweelah Power and Water complex, with completion expected in 2022. The plant is expected to produce 909,200 cubic metres of desalinated water per day.
#AbuDhabi is working on establishing the largest water desalination plant in the world at the Al Taweelah Power and Water Complex, with completion expected in 2022. Once fully operational, the plant is expected to produce 909,200 cubic metres of desalinated water per day.- ???? ?????? ???????? (@admediaoffice) July 22, 2020
Following is the infrastructure of Abu Dhabi's water sector:
- Abu Dhabi's desalinated water constitutes 9% of total desalinated water worldwide.
- It has a production capacity of around 1.3bn cubic meters of water annually.
- The water distributed over a pipeline network that extends to 14.2 thousand km.
- Nine desalination plants accommodate Abu Dhabi's water needs and also supply Fujairah, Umm Al Quwain and Sharjah with clean water.
- The nine stations have a total production capacity of 910mn imperial gallons per day.
- The water is transported via a 3.5 thousand km network.
.@AbuDhabiDoE is enhancing #AbuDhabi's water security by developing policies & regulations to support the sector, improve plant performance, and ensure secure & sustainable supplies through 9 desalination plants with a production capacity of around 1.3bn cubic metres of water/yr. pic.twitter.com/CdQvYoOh66- ???? ?????? ???????? (@admediaoffice) July 22, 2020
The technology behind it:
- 67 per cent of drinking water in Abu Dhabi is produced by a technology called multi-stage flash distillation (MFS).
- 17 per cent water is produced via multiple- effect distillation technology (MED).
- 16 per cent water is produced by seawater reverse osmosis (RO) technology.
(All key figures from 2019)
The extension that began on August 11 will end on September 11. READ MORE
Faisal Abdul Salam was seen in a disheveled state in Al Qusais. READ MORE
The weather bureau also says it will be humid on Tuesday evening and... READ MORE
The policy will act as a coordination framework for all parties... READ MORE
MS Dhoni's side win the opening game by 5 wickets READ MORE
Tadej claims overall leader's yellow jersey with time trial win READ MORE
A Covid-positive patient was held for violating quarantine in Sharjah. READ MORE
Both cases were on long flights early in the pandemic before airlines ... READ MORE