Government
Logo
 

UAE supports Saudi Arabia's initiative to reach a political solution in Yemen

Wam/Abu Dhabi
Filed on March 22, 2021

(Wam file)

Saudi Arabia made a cease-fire offer to Houthis on Monday.

Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, has expressed the UAE's support for the initiative made by the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs today on forging a comprehensive peaceful solution in Yemen.

Also read: Saudi Arabia offers cease-fire plan to Houthis

The UAE top diplomat hailed the initiative as an "invaluable" opportunity to ensure a nationwide ceasefire in Yemen and to pave the way for a permanent political solution in the country. He urged the international community to unify efforts and ensure the commitment of all parties concerned to the ceasefire plan.

Sheikh Abdullah commended the central role played by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to implement the Riyadh Agreement, form the new Yemeni government, reach a peaceful solution, and expedite the efforts aimed at putting an end to the Yemen crisis.

He underlined the necessity of responding positively to the initiative and the importance of all Yemeni forces collaborating to prioritise the nation's supreme national interests.

In addition, Sheikh Abdullah emphasised that the UAE continues to fully stand by the people of Yemen and to support their legitimate ambitions for development, prosperity, peace and stability.

UAE, UN hail Saudi truce bid in Yemen

The UAE and the United Nations welcomed on Monday Saudi Arabia’s new peace initiative to end the war in Yemen.

Dr Anwar Gargash, Diplomatic Adviser of the UAE President, said in tweet: “The Saudi initiative to end the crisis in Yemen and reach a comprehensive political agreement represents a real opportunity to end the suffering of the brotherly Yemeni people. Saudi Arabia’s good efforts are based on concern for the stability and future of Yemen.”

UN spokesman Farhan Haq said the Saudi move aligns with the world body’s own efforts.

Saudi Arabia’s plan includes a nationwide ceasefire under UN supervision and the reopening of air and sea links, the kingdom’s foreign minister said earlier on Monday. “We want the guns to fall completely silent,” Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan told reporters in Riyadh





ERROR: Macro /ads/dfp-ad-article-new is missing!
MORE FROM News
MORE FROM Khaleej Times
CurrentRequestUnmodified: /apps/pbcs.dll/article?avis=KT&date=20210130&category=ARTICLE&lopenr=210139981&Ref=AR&profile=1010 macro_action: article, macro_profile: , macro_adspot:
 
 
 
 
KT App Download
khaleejtimes app

All new KT app
is available
for download:

khaleejtimes - android khaleejtimes - ios khaleejtimes - HUAWEI AppGallery