2 maids in Dubai die of carbon monoxide poisoning
Authorities warn that these incidents are more frequent in the winter.
Two Asian housemaids died after they suffocated from carbon monoxide gas in their room in a Bur Dubai villa.
After initial investigations, authorities concluded that they had inhaled the gas in their sleep after they lit a charcoal fire in their room to keep warm.
The room was not ventilated as the windows and doors in their room were tightly shut and had sound insulators. The victims suffocated due to a high concentration of gas built up in the room.
The owner of the villa found the maids unresponsive - in a sleeping position - after he noticed that they hadn't gotten up at their usual time the next morning.
He quickly called an ambulance, but paramedics declared them dead upon their arrival.
Colonel Ahmed Al Marri explained that carbon monoxide gas is one of the most dangerous killers, as it kills silently without pain once it fills the lungs. Police had recorded six such deaths last year, but this incident was the first one this year.
Al Marri stressed that incidents of carbon monoxide poisoning were more common in the winter, as people resort to charcoal fires to keep warm.
He added that homeowners, especially those on the outskirts of Dubai, need to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide and should educate those working for them.
On the other hand, the e-crimes and reports of cyber-crimes have... READ MORE
All UAE schools and universities will continue the remote learning... READ MORE
The reduction will apply to all year groups for term three of the... READ MORE
The gate detects entering passengers and sprays sterilising materials ... READ MORE
Customers will not be charged anything either. READ MORE
The lab is the first in the world of this scale to be operational... READ MORE
Residents have also been given a hotline they can call on by local... READ MORE
The public are urged to stay at home as much as possible, and only go ... READ MORE