Narratiive Tags - Khaleej Times Desktop
Emergencies
Logo
 

Indian expat who tried to save wife from UAE apartment fire dies

Ashwani Kumar /Abu Dhabi
Filed on February 17, 2020 | Last updated on February 17, 2020 at 06.19 am
man, save, wife, uae, apartment fire, dies, hospital

(Supplied)

He suffered more than 90 per cent burns.

An Indian expat, who suffered more than 90 per cent burns while trying to save his wife from fire, died in Abu Dhabi on Sunday.

Anil Ninan, 32, hailed from the Indian state of Kerala and lived with his family in Umm Al Quwain. The accident happened last Monday following a fire that broke out in their apartment.

It is suspected that the fire was caused by a short circuit from the electric box placed in the corridor. "The couple was rushed to the Sheikh Khalifa General Hospital in Umm al Quwain on Monday night. They were later shifted to Mafraq Hospital in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday for critical care," Rev Sojan Thomas, vicar of St Thomas Mar Thoma Church in Ras Al Khaimah, had earlier told Khaleej Times.

"We do not know the exact details. But Neenu first caught fire while she was in the corridor. Anil, who was in the bedroom, ran to his wife and was trying to save her when the flames spread to him," said the vicar, who knew the couple for more than a year.

"This is a difficult time for us. His wife Neenu is still recovering at the hospital. She is safe. But, all of us are shocked at his death," said a close relative.

The Keralite couple has a four-year-old son.

ashwani@khaleejtimes.com

Ashwani Kumar


ERROR: Macro /ads/dfp-ad-article-new is missing!
MORE FROM News
MORE FROM Khaleej Times
CurrentRequestUnmodified: /news/emergencies/expat-who-tried-to-save-wife-from-uae-apartment-fire-dies- macro_action: article, macro_profile: , macro_adspot:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
KT App Download
khaleejtimes app

All new KT app
is available
for download:

khaleejtimes - android khaleejtimes - ios