Emirati recovers eyesight after years of suffering

Emirati recovers eyesight after years of suffering

Ras Al Khaimah - The patient was suffering from hypertension and obesity for the last 12 years, weighed 180 kilos and faced difficulty walking, lying down and suffered from laboured breathing.

When Abdel Moniem Mohammed Abdel Magid Yousif, a 69-year-old Emirati, came to the RAK Hospital, he was suffering from eyesight problems for years, and had been unable to see from his left eye for the past one year.

A diabetic patient, he was also suffering from hypertension and obesity for the last 12 years, weighed 180 kilos and faced difficulty walking, lying down and suffered from laboured breathing.

On examination, doctors found cataract in his right eye, which made the eye lens cloudy, blocking his vision. They also found a gradual loss of vision in his left eye. His eyesight was blurred and he faced trouble seeing at night.

Generally, patients suffering from diabetes have 40 per cent higher chances of suffering from glaucoma (gradual loss of vision), and the likelihood increases with age. Similarly, diabetics are 60 per cent more likely to develop cataract. Diabetes is also responsible for affecting several vital organs, including heart, kidneys, and nerves.

Dr Archana Sood, Senior Specialist, and Head of Department of Ophthalmology, said since the patient was overweight, and could not move much, it was difficult to do the initial postoperative investigations, such as ultrasound of the eye, calculations of the lens power, and tests to evaluate the risk of glaucoma.

"Therefore, the hospital staff brought the machines to the patient's wheelchair to do the tests. They also used a special mobile lamp for all the assessment before the surgery and during the follow-up after the surgery."

Moreover, the procedure itself was challenging because of the patient's excess weight, difficulty in lying down and laboured breathing with head movement, all of which made the surgery difficult to conduct, she added.

"The operation was done on a motorised bed - which is usually used for patients who are recovering - since this was the only kind of bed that could take his weight."

This further added to the complication, since the surgery normally required an operating microscope and a specially designed operating table. A standby anesthetist continuously monitored the patient, as well, in case of any intraoperative distress.

The cataract operation went well, and it was completed in 25 minutes, Dr Sood said. "A foldable lens was implanted successfully and the very next day, the patient's vision was clear and bright."

Dr Raza Siddiqui, CEO Arabian Healthcare Group and Executive Director, RAK Hospital said since a lot of people shy away from regular health screening, their various health issues deteriorate further to an extent that they need surgical intervention.

"This is why we at RAK Hospital put so much stress on regular check-up, particularly in the cases where the vital organs are affected. Moreover, patients suffering from diabetes, have to be extra careful, since the disease is a root cause of several health problems, as we saw in this case."

Thanking the RAK team and support staff, Yousif appreciated the surgical and post-operative care that he received, and expressed his relief on regaining his clear vision. "It would not have been possible without their help."


More news from UAE