Want to work part-time in UAE? Here's what you need to know

Top Stories

Want to work part-time in UAE? Heres what you need to know

Persons who meet the conditions to be granted work permits based on the residency of their families

By Anita Iyer

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Tue 11 Jul 2017, 12:00 AM

Last updated: Thu 13 Jul 2017, 8:22 AM

Who doesn't want to make some extra money? Expats alone in the city often toy with the idea of working on a part-time basis with a different employer, apart from their regular job.
There is often a misconception that you can't work part-time and you might be flouting law while doing so. Well, the Ministry of Human Resources & Emiratisation allows you to opt for a part-time job by obtaining a work permit.

Who can apply for a part-time work permit?

A temporary work permit and a part-time work permit shall be issued to the following categories:
1. Employees registered at the Ministry who hold valid labour cards.
2. Persons who meet the conditions to be granted work permits based on the residency of their families.
3. Students over 18 years of age.
4. Government employees.
4. The permits mentioned in the article may not be issued to a non-national employee who is over 65 years of age.
Working in UAE? Know the types of visa bans

Validity of the work permit

The part-time work permit is valid for one year and must be renewed after the completion of the year.

Documents required:

1. Valid passport and visa copy
2. One passport size photograph with white background
3. NOC from your existing full-time employer
4. Copy of your labour card / Emirates ID / labour contract
5. Labour Establishment card for  both companies; (if applicable)
6. Passport copy of the Sponsor (If you are sponsored by your husband or father)

Procedure of applying for a part-time permit

Once all your documents are in place, the prospective part-time employer has to submit them through Tasheel Authorised centre.
The part-time company has to submit the documents and make the following payment:
a. Application fees of Dh153
b. Part-time labour card fees of Dh553

When is a NOC required?

One of the most important documents for procuring your part-time work permit is a No Objection Certificate from your existing employer.
The law says - Approval from the entity where the applicant works in case of part-time or temporary work, if he works at another establishment.

Cases where the approval is not needed:

The Ministry may approve issuing the worker a temporary work permit without the need for the consent of the establishment where the employee works and without the necessary validity of his residency and labour card in the event that the employee has an ongoing labour complaint referred by the Ministry to the court.
The Ministry, at its discretion, may issue the employee a part-time work permit for more than one establishment.

More news from