Enjoy our faster App experience

Gas explosion in Ajman apartment, woman injured

Gas explosion in Ajman apartment, woman injured

Ajman - The accident was caused by a leaking gas cylinder.



by

Afkar Ali Ahmed

Published: Fri 5 May 2017, 5:44 PM

Last updated: Sat 6 May 2017, 8:56 AM

An Asian woman sustained injuries after a gas cylinder exploded in an apartment on the fourth floor of a building in Al Jarf area in Ajman. The woman was rushed to the hospital and the building evacuated for the safety of the residents.

Speaking to Khaleej Times, Brig. Rashid Muglad said that the blast was caused due to leak in the gas cylinder kept in the kitchen. The explosion damaged the apartment heavily.

"We received a call at the control room about the accident in the afternoon. Loud explosion was heard in the five-storey building. The firefighters from the directorate and Al Jarf fire station as well as the rescue unit rushed to the site but couldn't find any fire or flame. The team rushed the injured woman to Khalifa Hospital."

The site has been handed over to police authorities for more investigation.

Brig. Muglad urged the residents to check safety of the connection and validity of the cylinders, while ensuring that it's properly secured. He also called for regular maintenance of the oven and stove. Residents shouldn't store gas cylinders in the kitchen and keep them at a properly ventilated place, he said.

afkarali@khaleejtimes.com


More news from UAE