Palestinian anger boils over Al Aqsa curbs by Israelis

Top Stories

Palestinian anger boils over Al Aqsa curbs by Israelis
Palestinians carry the body of Huthaifa Suleiman, 18, during his funeral in the Bal'a village near the west bank city of Tulkarem, on Monday. The Palestinian youth was killed in clashes with Israeli soldiers in the West Bank on Monday.

Occupied Jerusalem - Two youth shot dead by Israeli troops in West Bank clashes.

By Agencies

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Tue 6 Oct 2015, 12:00 AM

Last updated: Tue 6 Oct 2015, 12:36 PM

Two Palestinian teens, including a 13-year-old boy, were killed by Israeli army fire in West Bank clashes Monday, raising concerns about a further escalation after a violent weekend that left several Israeli civilians dead and hundreds of Palestinians wounded.
The 13-year-old, Abdel Rahman Shadi, died after being hit by a live bullet to the chest while another Palestinian protester was wounded in clashes that took place at Rachel's Tomb in Bethlehem, according to a doctor at the Beit Jala hospital.
The Israeli military confirmed troops opened fire, and said it was investigating further.
The violence has prompted the Israeli government to take unprecedented security measures - as of Sunday, police have barred Palestinian residents of Jerusalem from entering the Old City for two days during a Jewish holiday, in an attempt to curb Palestinian attacks. Palestinians who live, work and study within the Old City, as well as Israelis and tourists, are allowed in.
The 18-year-old Palestinian was killed early on Monday, according to a doctor at Tulkarem hospital in the northern West Bank.
The youth's death came as Israeli military said hundreds of Palestinians - at a rally organised by Hamas - threw firebombs, rolled burning tyres and threw rocks at soldiers who opened fire after using tear gas and stun grenades. Also, Israeli police claimed Palestinians threw rocks and firebombs in mostly Arab areas of Jerusalem overnight.
The Red Crescent says 456 Palestinians have been injured in the violent protests over the last two days alone.
Much of the recent violence has stemmed from tensions at the sacred hilltop compound, which has been a frequent flashpoint.
There have been several days of clashes at the site over the past few weeks as Palestinians barricaded themselves inside the Al Aqsa mosque while hurling stones, firebombs and fireworks at Israeli police. The unrest later spread to Arab neighbourhoods of east Jerusalem and to the West Bank.
The Israeli ban came hours after a 19-year-old Palestinian, Muhannad Halabi, attacked an Israeli family as they walked in the Old City, killing the father, seriously wounding the mother and lightly injuring their two-year-old toddler before proceeding to stab another Israeli man to death. He then opened fire at tourists and police before he was shot and killed by policemen who had rushed to the scene.
Halabi's comments on Facebook prior to the attack, along with a similar post by another attacker, have added to fears and public debate over whether the specter of another Palestinian Intifada, or uprising, is on the horizon
"What's happening to our holy places? What's happening to our mothers and sisters in the Al Aqsa mosque," Halabi posted before the stabbing attack. "We are not the people who accept humiliation. Our people will revolt."
The Israeli survivor, Adele Banita, whose husband Aharon was killed and whose two-year-old child was wounded by Halabi, described the horrific assault to Israeli media. She said she felt something in her back and then saw the Palestinian assailant stabbing her husband before turning round to stab her again. Israeli officials, however, are admanat that Israel is not facing another Intifada but rather a "wave of terror."
The stabbings were the latest in a series of deadly Palestinian attacks. On Thursday, suspected Palestinian gunmen killed an Israeli couple in front of their children as they drove in the West Bank. An Israel died when his car was pelted with stones last month and there have been numerous incidents of Palestinians attacking Israelis and throwing stones at passing vehicles. Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas, who said in a UN speech last week that he was no longer bound by previous accords with Israel, accused the Israeli government of escalating tensions.
It was not clear what Abbas's UN declaration would mean in practice, including whether he would act to end security cooperation with Israel.
Early on Monday, Israel carried out an air strike on the Gaza Strip in response to a Palestinian rocket attack from the territory, an army statement said. No casualties were reported from either side.
In a separate incident early Sunday, a 19-year-old Palestinian stabbed and wounded a 15-year-old passerby in west Jerusalem before being shot dead by police while fleeing.
Video circulated on social media showed what appeared to be the alleged attacker walking as bystanders shouted "shoot him" in Hebrew before a policeman fired and he fell to the ground.
Unrest later broke out in the Issawiya neighbourhood of east Jerusalem, where the attacker in Sunday morning's stabbing was from.

More news from