Enjoy our faster App experience

Bani Yas in talks with Brazil star Robinho

Bani Yas in talks with Brazil star Robinho

The 31-year-old Brazilian is currently with his native club Santos. He was previously with Italian Serie A giants AC Milan, who had sent him out on loan.



By James Jose (senior Reporter)

Published: Wed 10 Jun 2015, 12:29 PM

Last updated: Wed 8 Jul 2015, 3:13 PM

Abu Dhabi — Bani Yas are in negotiations with former Real Madrid and Manchester City striker Robinho, the club confirmed on Tuesday.

The 31-year-old Brazilian is currently with his native club Santos. He was previously with Italian Serie A giants AC Milan, who had sent him out on loan.

The club have been in talks with his representatives for the past three weeks and the Sky Blues have said to be offering a two-year deal. Robinho is currently a free agent.

Robinho, who is preparing for the Copa America in Chile, is said to be asking for a fee of more than $4 millions per year.

“Negotiations are still going on. He has asked for more than four million. There are no new updates on the situation yet. The talks are still going on and nothing has been finalised yet,” Salem Al Orafi, the former assistant coach and current Bani Yas Director of Football, told the Khaleej Times on Tuesday.

If the deal is done, Robinho will replace Argentine striker Denis Stracqualursi, who has been off-loaded.
It could be a massive signing for Bani Yas, who finished eighth in the Arabian Gulf League, in the season gone by. Luis Garcia’s men also reached the quarterfinals of the President’s Cup where they went down to Al Shabab on penalties.

Meanwhile, Al Dhafra have retained only Makhete Diop among the foreigners and will be in the transfer market for three new players. The Western Knights decided not to renew the contracts of Moroccan striker Youssef Kaddioui Idrissi and Lebanese defender Billal Mohamed Najaren, while Iraqi striker Humam Tareq Faraj returns to Dubai’s Al Ahli after a loan spell.

Senegal’s Diop, who has been Al Dhafra’s standout player, still has a year left on two-year contract and remains with the club. He arrived on a one-year contract in the 2013-14 season before it was renewed for a period of two years last season.

Al Dhafra finished 11th in the Arabian Gulf League and reached the semifinals of the President’s Cup where they lost to Al Ahli.

james@khaleejtimes.com 


More news from Local Sports