Narratiive Tags - Khaleej Times Desktop
Legal View

You can travel to UAE with your newborn after getting baby's visit or residence visa

Ashish Mehta
Filed on May 31, 2020
UAE, legal view, law,  UAE law, covid-19

Know the law in the UAE.

Question: I am a resident of UAE and travelled to Pakistan to give birth to my baby. I was planning to return to the UAE after delivery by the end of March. However, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, regular inbound and outbound flights in the UAE were stopped and I was not able to return to the UAE as planned. I have a valid UAE residence visa and wish to return to the UAE to be with my husband who is in the UAE, considering that the UAE government has allowed its residents who are outside the country to come back from June 1. My daughter is four months old and she is not a resident of the UAE as she was born in Pakistan. However, she has a valid Pakistan passport and juvenile card issued by the respective authority in Pakistan. Is it possible for me to travel along with my daughter? Will she be issued a visit visa on special circumstance or a visit visa on her arrival in the UAE?


Pursuant to your queries, as a parent you may apply for a UAE visit visa for your daughter prior to your travel to the UAE. Further, if your husband is a resident in the UAE, he may obtain an e-visit visa for your daughter to travel to the UAE. On the other hand, if your husband's salary is Dh4,000 or Dh3,000 if accommodation is provided by his employer, it makes him eligible to apply for a UAE residence visa for your daughter in the UAE. Your husband needs to submit the copy of his passport along with copy of his UAE residence visa page, copy of your marriage certificate which is duly legalised and attested by Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Co-operation in the UAE, copy of registered tenancy contract, copy of his employment contract, the copy of the passport and coloured photograph with white background of your daughter to the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (the 'GDRFA') to apply for residence visa of your daughter. Due to Covid-19, currently the UAE is not issuing any type of visa to people who are outside the UAE.

There are no options of availing visa on arrival for children who are below 18 years of age who intend to travel with their parent/s to the UAE.  Further, as Pakistan is not listed as one of the countries where its nationals can obtain a visit visa on arrival to UAE, you may have to either apply for UAE visit visa for your daughter or your husband has to apply for UAE residence visa for her. For further clarifications, you may approach the GDRFA and seek their advice.

Know the law

There are no options of availing visa on arrival for children who are below 18 years of age who intend to travel with their parent/s to the UAE

Ashish Mehta is the founder and Managing Partner of Ashish Mehta & Associates. He is qualified to practise law in Dubai, the United Kingdom and India. Full details of his firm on: Readers may e-mail their questions to:  or send them to Legal View, Khaleej Times, PO Box 11243, Dubai

ERROR: Macro /ads/dfp-ad-article-new is missing!
MORE FROM Khaleej Times
CurrentRequestUnmodified: /legalview/coronavirus-can-uae-employer-reduce-salary-permanently--1-1-111 macro_action: article, macro_profile: , macro_adspot:
KT App Download
khaleejtimes app

All new KT app
is available
for download:

khaleejtimes - android khaleejtimes - ios khaleejtimes - HUAWEI AppGallery