International
Logo
 

Trump says Iran appears to be 'standing down' after strike

AP/Washington
Filed on January 9, 2020 | Last updated on January 9, 2020 at 06.31 am
Trump, Iran, strike, White House, President Donald Trump, Qassem Soleimani
US President Donald Trump delivers remarks on Iran.- AP

Trump announced that the US will immediately place new sanctions on Iran "until Iran changes its behavior."

President Donald Trump said on Wednesday, January 8, that Iran appears to be "standing down" and said no Americans or Iraqis were harmed in Iran's Tuesday ballistic missile strike on two Iraqi bases housing US troops.

Speaking from the foyer of the White House, Trump announced that the US will immediately place new sanctions on Iran "until Iran changes its behavior." He defended his targeted killing last week of Gen. Qassem Soleimani, the head of Iran's elite Quds Force. He added that Americans should be "extremely grateful and happy" with the outcome.

Trump reiterated his position that "Iran will never be allowed to have a nuclear weapon" and called for new nuclear negotiations to replace the 2015 nuclear deal from which he withdrew the US.

Trump also announced he would ask NATO to become "much more involved in the Middle East process."


ERROR: Macro /ads/dfp-ad-article-new is missing!
MORE FROM International
MORE FROM Khaleej Times
CurrentRequestUnmodified: /apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20200109/ARTICLE/200109236&Show=0 macro_action: article, macro_profile: , macro_adspot:
 
 
 
 
 
KT App Download
khaleejtimes app

All new KT app
is available
for download:

khaleejtimes - android khaleejtimes - ios