US strike kills Taleban splinter commander: Officials

Taleban, Herat

Kabul - A spokesman confirmed they had launched "a defensive air strike in support of Afghan forces".



By AFP

Published: Fri 10 Jan 2020, 11:00 AM

Last updated: Fri 10 Jan 2020, 2:50 PM

A US airstrike killed a Taleban splinter-group commander and several other fighters in the western Afghan province of Herat, Afghan and military sources said on Thursday.
The commander, named as Mullah Nangyalay, was killed in Shindand district, close to the border with Iran, said Herat provincial governor's spokesman Jailani Farhad.
Nangyalay split from the main branch of the Taleban after the 2013 death of founder Mullah Omar and joined a smaller breakaway faction led by a commander known as Mullah Rasool.
A senior provincial police source said the airstrike had been carried out by a US drone.
A spokesman for US forces in Afghanistan confirmed they had launched "a defensive air strike in support of Afghan forces".
The main Taleban group has been negotiating with Washington for more than a year over the withdrawal of US troops in exchange for security guarantees from the militants that could pave the way to intra-Afghan peace talks.


More news from Rest of Asia