Kerala orders Crime Branch probe into
Bihar youth’s death

T K Devasia
Filed on August 7, 2012

The Kerala government has ordered a Crime Branch probe into the mysterious death of Satnam Singh Mann, 28, from Bihar at the Government Mental Health Centre in Trivandrum on Saturday.

He was moved to the mental health centre at Peroorkkada in the city after he was arrested by the Karunagapally police on August 2 on charges of attempt to murder famed spiritual leader Mata Amritanandamayi at her ashram at Vallikkavu in Quilon district.

The inquest of his body at the Trivandrum Medical College Hospital revealed that the youth had died due to injuries he had suffered in his head and the neck.

A three-member team of doctors led by Dr Rama, who conducted the inquest, found over 40 marks of injuries on Satnam Singh’s body.

The inquest done in the presence of First Class Chief Judicial Magistrate, Trivandrum suggested that several of these injuries were caused by iron and wooden rods. Satnam Singh’s father Harindar Singh, who arrived in the state capital on Monday morning, demanded a CBI probe into the death. He said that he will approach the high court with the plea in the light of the circumstances of the death.

Harindar Singh said his son was mentally unstable and was under treatment for the last two years. A bright student, Satnam Singh had left his law study and was roaming around various places. Mann’s brother Bimal Kishore Singh said he had come to Amritanandamayi’s ashram saying he was called by the spiritual leader. He said his brother had told him that he was enveloped by her magic aura after visiting her.

Home Minister Thiruvanchiyoor Radhakrishnan said that the government had ordered a Crime Branch probe due to the mystery behind it. He said that the inspector general of the Crime Branch will supervise the investigation.

A crime branch deputy superintendent of police has already taken the statement from the family members of the deceased. The Crime Branch official said he will question the mental health centre staff and Karunagapally police officials to ascertain where Mann was tortured.

Doctors at the mental health centre said Satnam Singh was brought there with several injuries on his body.

He was brought with his limbs tied together. However, doctors at the District Hospital in Quilon to where he was first taken from the prison said there were no signs of torture on his body.

Satnam Singh, who had been missing from his native place Gaya since May 30, was caught from Amritanandamayi’s ashram on August 2.

According to the police, while Amritanandamayi was giving darshan to her devotees, Singh moved to the dais reciting Arabic words. He was overpowered by the devotees and handed over to the police.

ERROR: Macro /ads/dfp-ad-article-new is missing!
MORE FROM Khaleej Times
CurrentRequestUnmodified: /world/blinken-asks-pakistan-to-line-up-in-pressuring-taliban macro_action: article, macro_profile: ,1028,1000 macro_adspot:
KT App Download
khaleejtimes app

All new KT app
is available
for download:

khaleejtimes - android khaleejtimes - ios khaleejtimes - HUAWEI AppGallery