'Don't make the same mistake I made,' urges victim

Top Stories

Dont make the same mistake I made, urges victim
It turned out that she had suffered from an infection and thus needed to be admitted to hospital.

Abu Dhabi - The mother, who wanted to keep her anonymity, said she was only 26 years old when she decided to undergo a procedure to enhance the buttocks through fillers.

By Jasmine Al Kuttab

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Sat 13 Jan 2018, 8:13 PM

An Emirati woman, who fell victim in the hands of an unauthorised cosmetic practitioner in the UAE, is urging people not to make the same mistake she made, which she said has forever changed her health and life.
The mother, who wanted to keep her anonymity, said she was only 26 years old when she decided to undergo a procedure to enhance the buttocks through fillers.
Trusting her friends' recommendation, the woman went ahead with an "in-home service", where two so-called medical practitioners from the Philippines conducted the procedure.
"A lot of friends had done the buttocks filler procedure through the same practitioners and they said they had good results for less than half the price."
She said the regular cost of the procedure is a minimum of Dh8,000, whereas the "in-home" procedure by the duo cost only Dh3,000.
"The two women came to my house and did the procedure. But after the session, I developed high temperature and pain in my entire body." 
It turned out that she had suffered from an infection and thus needed to be admitted to hospital. 
She did the buttocks filler procedure three times in total. However, it was the third one which caused everlasting consequences on her health. "I began to feel swelling and pain in my legs. At first, I thought there is something wrong with my bones.
"I went to the hospital and after an X-ray and an MRI, I was told by doctors that the liquid from the buttock's injection has actually gone down to my legs, it even went to my back."
Although it has been three years since the last procedure, she continues to have severe swelling and infection throughout her body.
"My friend also had the similar experience. This is not just a nightmare, this has ruined our lives."
The victim was unable to contact authorities to report her case, because she was afraid that her family would find out.
"I wanted to share my story to help other women. I hope that any woman who wants to have any procedure does it under the hands of licensed doctors, so that she won't have to suffer like I did." 
She pointed out that women often feel an immense deal of pressure to enhance their features and look idealistic.
"Women became so influenced by the fake images they see on social media, to the point they put their health and lives at risk. But these women don't know the danger of doing these procedures." 

Dr Leon Alexander, Specialist Plastic Surgery, Universal Hospital, also warned against in-home procedure.
"A trained doctor would never do that, no matter what," he stressed.
"Doctors are trained to have certain principles and must adhere to them. We never go beyond them and any so-called doctor who is willing to perform a procedure at home on a patient, whether it is a family, a friend or a customer, does not have these principles."
"The first and foremost principle is to never harm the patient, and by doing such procedures, goes exactly against this."
jasmine@khaleejtimes.com
 



More news from