No Tiger, but Donald on for Aussie Masters

World number one Luke Donald was Wednesday confirmed for the Australian Masters but former champion Tiger Woods has decided to give it a miss.



By (AFP)

Published: Wed 22 Jun 2011, 9:44 AM

Last updated: Tue 7 Apr 2015, 8:31 AM

The tournament will be held from December 15-18 at Victoria Golf Club, later than last year after losing its traditional November time-slot.

Along with Donald, fellow Englishman Ian Poulter, the world number 14, has committed to the event, as has Australia’s Stuart Appleby, the defending champion.

But Woods, who won the tournament in 2009 and was again a major drawcard last year, will be absent.

‘I have never played in Australia but I have heard so many great things about the sandbelt courses, the people there, and the country’s culture. I am really looking forward to the trip and the experience,’ said Donald.

David Rollo, vice-president of promoter IMG, said there were high hopes of attracting more top-class overseas players, as well as a strong Australian contingent.


More news from Global Sports