10-man Jazira down Wahda

Ten-man Al Jazira kept their nerves to take second round honours in the Etisalat Cup at the Al Nahyan Stadium on Friday night.

By James Jose

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 11:09 AM

Last updated: Mon 6 Apr 2015, 7:17 PM

The 2-1 win put Al Jazira on top of Group A ahead of Al Wasl and Al Wahda. It also ensured honours are even after the second instalment of the ‘UAE El Classico.’

Al Wahda had won the first of their numerous battles to come this season when they clinched the season-opening Super Cup.

But Al Jazira overcame the loss of a man—Subait Khater—due to a red card, to come out trumps in Friday’s Etisalat Cup fixture.

Argentine attacking playmaker Matias Delgado put Jazira ahead in the 10th minute before Wahda’s Hugo cancelled that out in injury time of the first half. With the scores deadlocked, Brazilian Ricardo Oliveira got the match-winner with 20 minutes left on the clock.

Jazira had the first look at goal in the sixth minute but Bare’s pile driver was punched away by goalkeeper Mutaz Abdulla.

But they did go ahead four minutes later through Matias Delgado. Oliveira’s freekick hit the woodwork and came back into play and Delgado pounced on the rebound and headed it home.

Jazira could have added another three minutes later but none could make contact to a Delgado freekick and goalkeeper Mutaz Abdulla made a clearance in time.

Jazira were down to 10 men after 20 minutes after Subait Khater was sent off for dangerous play on Yaqoub Yousef. Khater failed to judge the bounce of a high ball and his boot was high as Yaqoub Yousef tried to head it away.

Referee Hamad Al Shaikh Hashmi gave marching orders to Khater.

Wahda had an opportunity to draw level in the 28th minute but Hugo’s try off a corner hit the woodwork.

Later, Ismail Matar’s screamer was kept away by goalkeeper Khalid Essa.

It looked like Jazira would go into half-time with the lead but Wahda equalised through a penalty. Ismail Matar was brought down by Khalid Sabeel inside the box and referee Hamad Al Shaikh Hashmi pointed to the spot. Hugo fired it home for his fifth goal. It was also his fourth penalty in three games.

Wahda searched for a second after the restart but Magrao’s header, off a Matar freekick, hit the crossbar.

Wahda failed to capitalise on the extra man that they had and Jazira held on before finding the winner.

Oliveira had seen his attempt hit the post earlier on but he made sure that Jazira came out tops as the game wore on. Ibrahim Diaky fired a neat ball from midfield to Abdulla Qasem on the right. Qasem sent in a low ball for Oliveira who slotted it past goalkeeper Mutaz Abdulla. Wahda put all they had and could have equalised again with five minutes left for the whistle but Omar’s shot went wide.


More news from