School owners in Dubai discuss fee framework

Owners of private schools in Dubai met on Wednesday to discuss the methodology of the Education Cost Index (ECI), used to determine changes to school fees.

By Staff Reporter

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Thu 17 Apr 2014, 11:53 PM

Last updated: Fri 3 Apr 2015, 9:48 PM

According to the reports issued by the Dubai Statistics Centre and Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA), the Education Cost Index which monitors the expense of private schools in Dubai, increased to 1.74 per cent by the end of 2013.

Based on data obtained from 84 per cent of Dubai’s private schools, the latest figures show that salaries make up 60 per cent of their total expense. The remaining 40 per cent comprise rent, maintenance, electricity and water.

The meeting was held at the British University in Dubai in the presence of Major-General Mohammed Ahmed Al Marri, Head of the Social Development Committee; Abdulla Al Shaibani, Secretary-General of the Dubai Executive Council; Dr Abdulla Al Karam, Chairman and Director General of KHDA; Arif Al Muhairi, CEO of Dubai Statistics Centre; and representatives from government entities and 73 private schools in Dubai.

The discussion opened with a presentation on the role of the ECI methodology and school fee framework, both of which have been designed to help moderate fees in Dubai and stop unjustified increases. It also allows school operators to maintain a competitive profit rate in the education sector, regulate inflation and motivate schools to improve the quality of education.

The government works to improve transparency among all private and government bodies, through periodic review of the school fee system. Following the presentation, private school owners shared their suggestions for the ECI and fee framework.

More news from