Enjoy our faster App experience

Two men kidnap employee, rob him of Dh1.7 million in Dubai

dubai, employee, rob 1.7 million, kidnap

Dubai - They claim to work for Interpol.


Marie Nammour

Published: Mon 23 Sep 2019, 3:26 PM

Last updated: Mon 23 Sep 2019, 5:38 PM

Two Emirati men, who allegedly kidnapped and robbed an Indian employee of Dh1.7 million after posing as police officers, stood trial at the Dubai Court of First Instance.
According to public prosecution records, the two men, aged 36 and 37, lured the victim inside their car after making him believe they are CID officers. They drove him to a villa under construction in Abu Dhabi where they robbed the money from him. The money belonged to a trading company where the victim worked.
The incident was reported on May 26 at the Naif police station. Both defendants are in detention.
The 33-year-old victim recounted during the prosecution investigation how the defendants came to the building in Bani Yas, where he worked, at 9.30pm. "They posed as CID officers. One of them then showed me papers he claimed were issued from the United Nations. He claimed they worked for the Interpol."
The victim was then talked into getting in their car. "I had Dh1.7 million with me. I sat in the back with two Pakistani men. I was told not to use the mobile phone. But I managed somehow to send a message to my colleague," he told the investigator.
They drove fast to Abu Dhabi. There they took the money bag from him. A fifth man, a Pakistani at large, came and screamed at him as an intimidation way. They split the money among each other.
After dropping his accomplice in the Capital, the other defendant drove back to Dubai, where he was arrested later.
A police lieutenant said the robbery incident was reported at 10pm.
"We received the call made by the victim's colleague. We apprehended one of the defendants in Dubai on his way back from Abu Dhabi. The victim was in his car. The defendant confessed they had planned the robbery and had met in Al Quoz earlier."
The defendant was quoted by the lieutenant as saying that the two Pakistani accomplices pointed at the victim in front of him (the defendant) as their target at the entrance of the building in Naif.
Some of the stolen cash was found with the two accused men. One of them was then high on drugs.
The trial will continue on September 30.

More news from Crime and Courts