Two Filipino seamen hospitalised with burns

Two Filipino seamen thought they could be with their loved ones in Batangas, the Philippines, this month. In a quirk of fate, they are now in Fujairah Hospital with burns after a spark in the electrical blower caused a fire in their Motor Tanker Aris (M/T Aris) anchored a few miles off Fujairah.

By Lily B. Libo-on

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Thu 28 Jun 2012, 9:53 AM

Last updated: Tue 7 Apr 2015, 11:45 AM

Marianito Aguilon, aged 41, suffered 44 per cent burns, while Guillermo Enriquez Jr., aged 29, suffered 38 per cent burns on their faces, hands, back and lower limbs. They have already spent over a week of treatment at the hospital.

Lea Marie Aguilon, wife of Marianito, was in tears as she spoke with Khaleej Times over the phone from the Philippines. She was waiting with all excitement to see him again after a year when she heard of the news. He had left her in July 2011 after a few months of their wedding. Lea said she wanted to come to the UAE but Marianito stopped her because he did not want her to feel pity over his condition. “She will be with me in the hospital only for two hours a day as per the hospital rules,” Marianito said.

Guillermo, who is single, said that he was able to speak to his father, Guillermo Sr., and mother, Eufresinia, over the phone.

Both Marianito and Guillermo were brought to the hospital by Oil Marketing Trading Industry (OMTI), the UAE agent of the Greek company, Coral Shipping, owner of M/T Aris. Guillermo said they were cleaning the engine room on June 18, when there was a spark in the blower, leading to a fire. “We ran away after the spark created a fire that burned parts of our body. We were half awake when we were brought to the land for treatment,” he said.

Philippine Vice-President Jejomar C. Binay visited them at the hospital on June 23 to check on the progress of their recuperation before departing for Manila the next day. —

More news from