Two arrested in Naif shooting incident

The Dubai police have arrested two Iranians who allegedly shot an Indian trader and robbed him of Dh126,000 in the Naif area of Dubai last week.


Amira Agarib

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Mon 25 Jun 2012, 11:40 AM

Last updated: Tue 7 Apr 2015, 11:38 AM

Lieutenant-General Dhahi Khalfan Tamim, Commander-in-Chief of the Dubai Police, said that the suspects were staying in the country violating the residency law. One of them was arrested from Al Mussalla area in Sharjah while the other was held from the Karama area in Dubai. He said that the suspects attacked the trader on Tuesday.

“The Dubai Police will not compromise with the security of the country,” he added. Lt.-Gen. Dhahi Khalfan said that criminals should be aware of the fact that Dubai had successfully confronted world’s largest gangs.

Major-General Khamis Mattar Al Mazeina, Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Dubai Police who supervised the investigation, expressed his pleasure with the achievement. He said that the suspects monitored the movement of a salesman while he was in a bank in Bani Yas. They followed him after knowing that he was in possession of a large sum of money. He went to a shop in Al Burj Street and gave the money to the owner of the store. Then he went to the upstairs of the shop to take some goods.

Seeing that the owner was alone at the shop, the suspects entered the shop and asked the trader to hand over the money to them, which he refused to do. The suspects shot at him and made away with the money within a few seconds.

The Indian was seriously injured and was rushed to the hospital. His condition is now stable and he was visited by Director of Naif Police Station, Colonel Abdulla Khadem bin Soroor, said Al Mazeina.

Brigadier Khalil Ibrahim Al Mansouri, Director of the General Department of Criminal Investigation, said that after receiving the information about the incident, the police had set up 23 specialised search teams. After locating one of the suspects in Sharjah, the police gathered permission from the judicial authorities and raided his apartment in Al Mussalla area. The police conquered the suspect who showed stiff resistance to the arrest and recovered the gun and the money from his possession. Al Mansouri thanked the Sharjah Police and the Departments of Residence and Immigrations for their cooperation in arresting the suspects.

According to the police sources, they were informed at 1.35pm about the shooting incident in the Naif area near the bus station in Sabkha. A 19-year-old salesman told the police that H.G., a 23-year-old Indian partner of the trading company, was at the shop when the suspects entered there. The suspects in their 20s stayed around for half-an-hour, asking about the products and bargaining. Suddenly, one suspect took out a revolver from his pocket and asked him to hand over the money. The victim, who thought that it was a toy gun, jumped out to the door and tried to hold the revolver. The suspects shot at his chest and leg before fleeing with the money to the busy road.

More news from