Torture case: Father tries to attack witness

Torture case:  Father tries to attack witness

A court hearing had to be cut short when a father accused of torturing his two daughters, causing the infamous death of eight-year-old Wadeema, jumped over the dock to attack a police officer.

By Marie Nammour

Published: Mon 26 Nov 2012, 9:37 AM

Last updated: Tue 7 Apr 2015, 11:39 AM

Emirati H.S., a 29-year-old ex-security supervisor, got mad when an officer told the Court of First Instance on Sunday that H.S. and his compatriot girlfriend, 27-year-old A.A., also on trial, used to lock his daughters, Wadeema and Mira, 7, up in the bathroom when they wanted to have sex.

Khaleej TimesH.S. and A.A. are accused of torturing and illegally confining and depriving the two girls of their freedom for about six months with the use of force, which led to the death of the eldest, while leaving the youngest with a permanent disability of 10 per cent due to burns all over her body. They buried Wadeema’s body in a remote desert location in Al Badayer in Sharjah.

H.S. yelled at the officer that he was lying and jumped out of the dock, trying to attack the witness before he was restrained by the police guards in the court chamber.

A.A. also got irritated, insulted the witness and shouted that she did it all and asked that she be given the death penalty. She has recently given birth to H.S.’s baby boy.

Presiding Judge Maher Salama Al Mahdi ordered that H.S. be sent back into detention, before he adjourned the hearing until December 12 to listen to more witnesses. According to prosecution records, the two defendants used different kinds of torture on the two girls.

Their brutal torture of the frail victims included beating them with a stun gun and electric wire, burning them with an iron and cigarettes, and pouring boiling water over them. The confinement used to be in the bathroom or closet for hours on end, with no food or water.

The forensic doctor, who examined Wadeema’s body, earlier told the court bench that he could not determine the exact cause of her death since her body was found at the end of May, about six months after the alleged torture occurred, therefore was in an advanced state of decomposition.

The apparent marks of physical abuse and unhygienic conditions in which Wadeema’s sister Mira was found in the studio flat rented by her father in International City led the police to the discovery of the death and unauthorised burial of Wadeema.

More news from