Husband, woman to pay blood money in pregnant wife's death

Top Stories

Husband, woman to pay blood money in pregnant wifes death
(Image for illustrative purposes only)

Dubai - Two motorists - GCC national and an Indian - ordered to pay Dh252,000 and Dh168,000 respectively to family of the three victims.

By Marie Nammour

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Tue 31 May 2016, 12:00 AM

Last updated: Wed 1 Jun 2016, 1:56 PM

The Dubai Traffic Court has ordered two motorists, who were involved in an accident that resulted in the death of a pregnant woman, her daughter and an unborn child, to pay blood money to the deceased's family, a top prosecutor has revealed.
The accident resulted in the death of the 27-year-old wife of the driver of one of the cars and their two-years-old daughter. The wife was then 5-month pregnant.

Similar case
The Dubai Traffic Court has pronounced a similar  verdict in 2009. A woman was sentenced to pay the blood money for causing the death of an unborn child, which is 20 per cent of the Dh200,000 amount.
Advocate-General and head of traffic prosecution Salah Bu Farroucha Al Felasi said a 37-year-old GCC female national has been ordered to pay a Dh10,000 fine and has had her driving licence suspended for three months.
She was ordered to pay Dh252,000 in blood money to the family of the victims of the traffic accident.
The second accused, a 34-year-old Asian and husband of the deceased woman, has been ordered to pay a Dh6,000 fine and has had his driving licence suspended for three months.
He will pay Dh168,000 in blood money to the family of his late wife.
Al Felasi revealed that the case dates back to last December when a traffic accident between two cars was reported on Emirates Road.
Two little girls, who were travelling with their mother in the other car, sustained minor injuries.
After questioning the accused, listening to witnesses and assessing medical and forensic reports, the investigation concluded that the female accused was driving recklessly and over the speed limit,120km/h. The second accused was found to have been driving at 50 kms/h, that is below the minimum speed limit of 60 kms.
The public prosecution then referred the two motorists to the Traffic Court and recommended they be punished as per the Islamic Sharia, the traffic law and the Federal Penal Code.
They were charged with causing by mistake the death of others, harming others' safety and damage of property.
The accident was blamed on the first accused by 60 per cent and the other motorist by 40 per cent.
This is the second such a verdict has been handed down whereas in 2009, a woman was sentenced to pay the blood money for causing the death of an unborn child, which is 20 per cent of the Dh200,000 amount.
mary@khaleejtimes.com



More news from