Expat stabs wife to death outside her office in Dubai, jailed for life

dubai crime, indian, expat, jailed, murder

Dubai - Records show that the defendant had arrived to the UAE on a visit visa about one month prior to the incident.


Marie Nammour

Published: Wed 22 Jul 2020, 3:53 PM

Last updated: Wed 22 Jul 2020, 6:00 PM

The Indian expat who stabbed his wife to death at a car park in Dubai last year has been sentenced to life in prison.
The Dubai Court of First Instance found the 45-year-old man guilty of premeditated murder. He confessed to the crime during the investigation, saying that the heated argument they had on the day of the incident stemmed from a suspicion that she was cheating on him, court records show.
The defendant told the police and public prosecution that on September 9 last year, he went to his wife's workplace in Al Quoz industrial area. He asked her boss about a message he sent him when he was in India, telling him that his wife was cheating on him with another man.
They then stepped out of the office, with his wife 'very upset', the defendant said. She then blamed him for his behaviour and told him he embarassed her in front of her manager, he added.
During the heated argument at the car park, he then took out a knife and stabbed her three times in different parts of her body. She died on the spot, records show.
A police lieutenant, who went to the crime scene, said: "The woman looked like she was in her 40s. She was lying lifeless between the cars at the parking lot. She had deep stab wounds in her abdomen and left thigh. The crime weapon was found near her body."
An Indian manager, 33, told the prosecutor that he tried calling the victim on the day of the incident, leading to the discovery of the crime.
"I could not reach her on her mobile phone or the office landline. I sent the company driver after her to tell her to call me as I wanted her to send a price list to a customer."
However, a few minutes later, the driver called back, saying the woman was "lying outside the office in a pool of blood".
"I went there and saw her badly injured. She was already dead," said the manager, who then called the police.
Right after the incident, the man reportedly took the Metro to Jebel Ali. And when the murder was reported, authorities immediately launched a manhunt across the country.
Police patrols arrested him when they spotted him wandering in Jebel Ali, holding a bag. He remains in detention.
Public prosecution records show that the defendant had arrived to the UAE on a visit visa about one month prior to the incident. The victim had come to the country about one year earlier. She had been sharing accommodation with a female colleague while her husband was staying in Al Musaffah, Abu Dhabi. They have two daughters who live in the south Indian state of Kerala.
The court ordered that the convict be deported after completing 25 years in prison. This verdict, which can be contested within 15 days from the date of issuance, has not been appealed yet.

More news from Crime and Courts