Duo accused of robbing businessman of Dh3 million after assaulting him

The two defendants were identified with the help of a CCTV camera of the hotel near which the robbery took place.

By Marie Nammour/senior Reporter

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Wed 21 Jan 2015, 12:32 AM

Last updated: Thu 25 Jun 2015, 7:39 PM

Dubai — Two Russian men allegedly robbed a Chinese businessman of a suitcase containing Dh3 million by blocking his way and kicking and punching him as he was walking on a street in Naif area, a Dubai court heard on Monday.

The two accused, aged 43 and 35, are standing trial in absentia on the charges of forced street robbery in the Court of First Instance, while a 39-year-old Tajik woman has been charged with aiding and abetting them in the incident that took place last year on September 25.

The complainant said during the prosecution investigation that he owned a trading company in Naif.

“Around 2pm, I went to the bank and withdrew Dh2 million from an ATM and then withdrew another Dh1 million from another bank.”

He put the money in a laptop bag and started walking towards his place. “However, in front of a hotel, I was taken aback when two men attacked me. They snatched the bag from my hands and fled the scene,” he told the prosecutor.

A police lieutenant said they arrested the Tajik woman on October 3 last year after she was handed over by Al Buraimi Police from Oman.

“The two defendants were identified with the help of a CCTV camera of the hotel near which the robbery took place. They could be seen assaulting the Chinese man and snatching his suitcase from him.”

The police got to know from reliable sources that a woman and another man were also involved in the robbery. “They were spotted waiting in a car, stopping some distance away from where the incident took place for their accomplices to attack the Chinese man.”

The Oman police reportedly recovered more than Dh2 million from the flat where the woman accused had been staying in Oman.

The woman reportedly admitted during the interrogation that her part was to stalk and look for traders carrying large amounts of money. She aided the two accused by passing on information about the victim and helping them plan the robbery.

Immediately after the robbery, they met in Al Ain and later infiltrated into Oman, where they stayed in a villa near the border area and later the two main accused left for Muscat. The duo left Dh2 million with her.

She confessed that she purchased jewellery and electric equipment found in her flat with the stolen money.


More news from