17 Indians’ case adjourned till June 6

A Sharjah court on Monday asked for the original medical reports to prove the disability of a Pakistani national who is fighting a Dh1.5m civil compensation case against 17 Indians, who had earlier won a reprieve from death sentence.

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Wed 9 May 2012, 12:16 AM

Last updated: Tue 7 Apr 2015, 11:38 AM

The Sharjah Civil Court of First Instance adjourned the case to June 6 after the advocate of the petitioner Shahid Iqbal sought time to produce the documents required. Iqbal, who currently lives in Pakistan, and his brother Mushtaq Ahmed in Sharjah are fighting the case against the 17 men who were spared a death sentence in the murder case of another Pakistani man, Misri Nazir Khan. The duo had complained that they were injured and sustained disabilities in the same fight that took place between bootlegging gangs in 2009.

Though the court received the report from its medical panel on the disabilities sustained by Ahmed in the last hearing on April 22, the medical documents to prove the same for Iqbal had not reached from Pakistan.

On Sunday, the reports sent from Pakistan were submitted to the court. However, considering that the reports were photocopies, the judge asked the petitioner’s advocate to submit the originals on June 6. Defence lawyer Bindu Suresh Chettur of Mohamed Salman Advocates and Consultants that was hired by the Indian government to defend its citizens said the defence team had submitted their defence on Monday regarding Ahmed’s medical report.

“Now we will wait for the original medical reports of the other petitioner to be submitted,” she told Khaleej Times.

The release of the 17 men, whose death sentence was commuted after a record blood money of Dh3.4 million was offered to Khan’s family, depends on the outcome of the civil case.

sajila@khaleejtimes.com



More news from