Lorgat sidelined as India and South Africa agree deal

South Africa’s cricket board suspended chief executive Haroon Lorgat on Tuesday pending an ICC inquiry into his conduct and also reluctantly agreed to a shortened home series against India, with both decisions taken under pressure from India’s powerful cricket bosses.

By (Agencies)

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Wed 23 Oct 2013, 12:34 PM

Last updated: Sat 4 Apr 2015, 10:13 AM

South African cricket administrator Haroon Lorgat

The two boards announced that Lorgat, a former International Cricket Council chief executive, would be investigated over his “role” in recent comments made by David Becker, a former legal adviser to the world body and Cricket South Africa who was critical of the Board of Control for Cricket in India and its leadership.

In a joint BCCI-CSA statement, the boards said Lorgat, who was appointed by CSA in July despite heavy Indian opposition, had been withdrawn from any business related to the ICC and also “from having involvement in any aspect of CSA’s relationship with the BCCI, including but not limited to the upcoming tour.”

Despite an ICC-appointed inquiry being announced, the world body has so far made no public comment and left the two boards, led by India, to release details. The ICC merely posted the statement on its website.

The joint statement also suggested that India agreed to tour South Africa, an important financial windfall for the host country, only after Lorgat was dealt with.

“The agreement to tour was concluded by the two boards after various concerns were raised ... about the alleged conduct of CSA’s chief executive, Mr. Haroon Lorgat, and recent comments made about the ICC board by a former legal adviser to CSA, Mr. David Becker,” the statement said.

It was not made clear what involvement Lorgat may have had in Becker’s public criticism of India, but the BCCI and CSA said any findings against Lorgat “will be binding on CSA.”

CSA’s new chief executive has a long history of bitter disagreements with the BCCI stretching back to his time at the ICC, and CSA was surprisingly open in conceding it had battled against BCCI opposition when Lorgat was appointed in July.

CSA President Chris Nenzani said then that their officials had been summoned to a meeting with the BCCI to explain Lorgat’s appointment, where Indian bosses made clear their “concerns” over South Africa’s choice.

South Africa also initially announced India’s end-of-year tour would consist of three tests, seven ODIs and two Twenty20s over two months from November through to January, but India immediately expressed its unhappiness with that schedule.

Following meetings in London over the past few days, CSA has given in and agreed to only Two tests and three ODIs, and Lorgat was sidelined from having any involvement in the tour.


More news from