What doctors have learned about fighting Covid-19
Here's what doctors and hospitals have learned a lot about how to treat patients with Covid-19.
In the six months since an entirely new coronavirus began spreading around the world, doctors and hospitals have learned a lot about how to treat patients with Covid-19, the potentially deadly disease caused by the virus.
What doctors have learned about fighting Covid-19:
* Patients are at increased risk of blood clots, and blood thinning agents can help.
* "Proning" - putting patients on their stomachs to relieve pressure on the lungs - can stave off the need for mechanical ventilation.
* Besides the respiratory system and lungs, the coronavirus can attack many other organs, including the heart, liver, kidneys, and brain.
* The most promising treatments so far seem to be the anti-viral remdesivir; dexamethasone, a steroid to treat the body's inflammatory response to Covid-19; and plasma donated by patients who have antibodies to the disease.
* More widespread testing and quicker results helps relieve pressure on hospitals.
* Information-sharing among health professionals worldwide is crucial.
* Prevention is critical. Doctors are relying on the public to do their part with good hygiene, masks and social distancing.
Some of the biggest unknowns:
* Exactly which treatments will work for which patients.
* How quickly some treatments will gain widespread distribution, especially remdesivir.
* How long it will take for Covid-19 patients to recover.
* The long-term effects of the infection.
"If the best lesson we've learned is to turn patients onto their stomachs instead of their backs," said Valory Wangler, chief medical officer at Rehoboth McKinley Christian Health Care Services, in Gallup, New Mexico, "it means we're far from a miracle cure."
Biden also ramped up his criticism of the president's handling of the ... READ MORE
The Community Solidarity Fund Against COVID-19 has paid Dh184,040 to... READ MORE
The 'Forrest Gump' and 'Philadelphia' Oscar-winner in March became... READ MORE
PM also announces the extension of a scheme providing free food... READ MORE
The goal of structural changes today is a government that is faster... READ MORE
Businesses also saw an improvement in export conditions, as foreign... READ MORE
The inspections will continue and the fines will be doubled if the... READ MORE
They are proven to remove 99.97 per cent of viruses and eliminate... READ MORE