Narratiive Tags - Khaleej Times Desktop
Coronavirus Pandemic
Logo
 

Coronavirus: Lebanon reimposes lockdown amid Covid-19 spike

AFP/Beirut, Lebanon
Filed on August 18, 2020
lebanese, authorities, lebanon, new lockdown, overnight, curfew, coronavirus, covid-19, spike, cases
Ted Chaiban, UNICEF Regional Director for the Middle East and North Africa, inspects damages inside the Karantina Governmental Hospital, in the aftermath of a massive explosion in Beirut's port area, in Beirut, Lebanon August 17, 2020.

(Reuters)

The new measures will come into effect on Friday and last just over two weeks, the interior ministry said.

Lebanese authorities on Tuesday announced a new lockdown and an overnight curfew to rein in a spike in coronavirus infections.

The new measures will come into effect on Friday and last just over two weeks, the interior ministry said, adding that they would not affect the clean-up and aid effort following the devastating August 4 Beirut port blast.

A curfew will be imposed from 6:00 pm (7pm UAE) to 6:00 am.

Malls will be closed and restaurants restricted to delivery, with curtailed operating hours. Social gatherings will also be banned. 

The airport will operate normally and ministries will be staffed at half capacity.

Areas damaged by the massive explosion that hit Beirut on August 4 will also be exempt from the restrictions, as clean-up efforts continue across multiple neighbourhoods. 

Hundreds of tonnes of ammonium nitrate fertiliser exploded at Beirut port in the heart of the city, laying waste to surrounding neighbourhoods, killing 177 and wounding thousands more. 

Lebanon was already seeing rising cases of the novel coronavirus before the blast but has reported a string of record tallies in recent weeks.

Authorities reported another one-day record of 456 new infections on Monday, followed by a further 421 on Tuesday that brought the total to 9,758 including 107 deaths since the start of the outbreak in February.

A previously planned lockdown was scrapped in the wake of the explosion, which flattened neighbourhoods near the port and left thousands homeless.

Health Minister Hamad Hassan warned on Monday that hospitals were reaching maximum capacity to treat novel coronavirus patients after the Beirut blast overwhelmed health centres already stretched by the virus.

"Public and private hospitals in the capital in particular have a very limited capacity, whether in terms of beds in intensive care units or respirators," he said.

"We are on the brink, we don't have the luxury to take our time," he warned. 


ERROR: Macro /ads/dfp-ad-article-new is missing!
MORE FROM Coronavirus Pandemic
MORE FROM Khaleej Times
CurrentRequestUnmodified: /coronavirus-pandemic/Coronavirus-UAE-reports-new-563-Covid-19-cases-/ macro_action: article, macro_profile: , macro_adspot:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
KT App Download
khaleejtimes app

All new KT app
is available
for download:

khaleejtimes - android khaleejtimes - ios khaleejtimes - HUAWEI AppGallery