Qatar launches shipyard in partnership with Singapore

DOHA — Gas-rich Qatar on Tuesday inaugurated the first phase of a 2.8-billion-dollar ship repair yard in partnership with Singapore’s Keppel Offshore and Marine.

By (AFP)

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Tue 23 Nov 2010, 8:30 PM

Last updated: Mon 6 Apr 2015, 11:33 AM

Qatar’s Energy and Industry Minister Abdullah bin Hamad al-Attiyah said the project will be used to “repair and maintain ships for Qatar, other countries of the world, and even aircraft carriers and oil tankers.”

The shipyard is a joint venture in which Qatar Gas Transport Co (QGTC), also known as Nakilat, owns 80 percent and Keppel the other 20 percent.

The project aims to be completed in 2013, said Nakilat managing director Mohammed Ghannam.

It is located in the industrial area of Ras Laffan in northern Qatar, near the liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminals used by QGTC which has a fleet of 54 tankers.

Qatar holds the world’s third-largest natural gas reserves, estimated at more than 900 trillion cubic feet (25 trillion cubic metres), after Russia and Iran.

A member of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries, the Arab state in the Gulf also produces some 800,000 barrels of crude oil per day.



More news from