Nine people from two families had consumed snacks bought from the bakery on a Friday afternoon while they were going for a drive. By late night, all those who had eaten chicken cutlets started complaining of stomach ache followed by vomiting and diarrhoea.
Affected children under observation at the hospital.
By Saturday night when their condition started worsening, they rushed to Zulekha Hospital in Sharjah where two children were admitted. The mothers were sent back after being given treatment.
An aged relative from a third family who had joined them for the drive, and had the snack, was admitted to New Medical Centre in Dubai with the same symptoms, but has been discharged now.
Incidentally, another family of four who had bought the cutlets from the same bakery on the same day was also admitted to Zulekha Hospital with similar symptoms.
As per details, the families of Indian nationals Jino Thomas and KD Anto along with another relative bought chicken cutlets and samosas from a popular bakery in Sharjah while on their way to Al Ain and kept the snacks in the car’s cool box.
“By Friday night, my two-year-old daughter, Egha Teresa, starting vomiting and then my wife fell ill,” said Jino. He and his six-year-old son had not eaten the cutlets but ate the samosas, he said. “Initially, we took homeopathic medicines but when there was no relief, we decided to go to hospital,” he added.
“We also called up the other family members who were with us on the trip and learnt that they too were ill,” said Jino, a resident of Sharjah. Jino said while his daughter was admitted and administered a drip, his wife was treated and sent back home.
Likewise, Jino’s cousin Anto’s 10-year-old-daughter, Anugraha, is still in hospital while his wife was given treatment and has recovered. “Both of them had eaten cutlets,” said Anto, adding that they, too, started vomiting on Friday night.
A 50-year-old relative Mathew who is a heart patient and had only eaten the cutlets, also fell sick and was admitted to NMC in Dubai. “He was discharged yesterday,” said Anto. Upon reaching the hospital, both families learnt that another Indian family of four with the same symptoms had been admitted.
Speaking to Khaleej Times from the hospital bed, 40-year-old Dilip Cherian said that his entire family, including two children aged 10 and 8 and his wife, had eaten the same snack from the said bakery. “We bought the cutlets on Friday and after 11.30 at night we all started feeling sick,” he said. “We did not have anything to eat in between,” he added. Doctors have carried out blood and stool tests on all those affected and are awaiting reports. “I have been told that some traces of amoeba and salmonella have been found in the tests,” said Jino.
A statement from Zulekha Hospital said, “These patients had come to the hospital with complaints of stomach upset after consuming food bought from outside. They were admitted in the hospital and are stable at present. Stool reports are awaited. Concerned regulatory authorities have been informed about the same.” While the health ministry is investigating, a top official from Sharjah Municipality said that a complaint was yet to be launched formally. “We have not yet received any report from the ministry, hospital or the affected families,” he said.
“As soon as a complaint is received, the bakery will be inspected and a sample of the food will be analysed,” he added. He also announced that an inspection campaign will be launched for bakeries from today.
The project also features, at a height of 263 metres, the highest solar energy tower on the planet
With temperatures dipping, it is the perfect time for barbecue and picnic with your loved ones
Multilateral Development Banks such as Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank have a key role to play in creating the right conditions for greater private climate financing
Completion to reduce carbon emissions and fossil fuel consumption