DPW says it will not replace US managers

LONDON — Dubai Ports World’s Vice Chairman sought to soothe U.S. national security fears by saying in an interview published yesterday that the firm would not overhaul management at six U.S. ports on completion of a takeover bid.

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Thu 2 Mar 2006, 10:00 AM

Last updated: Sat 4 Apr 2015, 3:26 PM

“There has been misconception about our role. We do not intend to embark on a major management restructure nor impact on security,” Jamal Majid Bin Thaniah told London-based industry newspaper Lloyd’s List.

“We are a commercial operator and will respond to requirements to create a global network of ports,” he said.

“Members of the U.S. Congress and U.S. citizens should understand that DP World is a commercial organisation with economic ambitions.'

'We will use the 45-day U.S. national security review of the deal to explain our position fully.”

The Dubai-based ports operator also told the paper it was confident a $6.85 billion purchase of the UK’s P&O operations would be endorsed by March 2, despite being delayed by a High Court action in London by a Miami-based firm.

DP World has said it had already responded to U.S. security concerns by announcing that it intended to isolate P&O’s U.S. assets held through P&O’s wholly owned U.S. subsidiary P&O Ports North America.

At the opening of a port terminal in Djibouti earlier this week, DP World chairman Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem concentrated on the company’s security profile.



More news from