Boxer Mayer tests positive for Covid-19, out of return bout
Junior lightweight contender Mikaela Mayer has tested positive for Covid-19 and won't fight in the co-main event of Las Vegas' first major boxing card since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.
Mayer announced her positive test on social media on Sunday, two days before her scheduled bout against Helen Joseph in the Top Rank show at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Tuesday night.
Mayer (12-0, 5 KOs) is a former US Olympian and a rising star in the 130-pound division. Mayer is asymptomatic, but she tested positive for the virus on Saturday, she says.
"The rest of my team tested negative and they are all in good health," Mayer said. "I was really looking forward to bringing back boxing for all of you and I'm disappointed for myself, my team, my supporters and for my opponent."
View this post on Instagram
I am heartbroken to report that I will no longer be fighting on Tuesday's Top Rank card due to a positive result in my COVID-19 test yesterday. It came as a complete surprise. I am currently asymptomatic and am quarantining at an off-site location per recommended guidelines. The rest of my team tested negative and they are all in good health. I was really looking forward to bringing back boxing for all of you and I'm disappointed for myself, my team, my supporters and for my opponent, Helen Joseph, who worked just as hard to be here this week and put on a show for everyone. After two hard back-to-back camps, not being able to step in to the ring both times, you can imagine how disappointed I am. However, these protocols were put into place for a reason and it's more important to care about the health and well being of my team and the people at this event. So I am complying with the rules set forth by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and Top Rank to keep everyone safe. I will just have to take a quick break but I will be in the ring soon. I appreciate all the love and support. Please tune in to ESPN on Tuesday night and support the card and all of the fighters. Boxing is back and I'll be back.???? #boxing
A post shared by MIKAELA MAYER (@mikaelamayer) on
Mayer was scheduled to face Joseph in a 10-round bout as she angles for a world title shot later this year.
The bout cancellation is the second in three months for Mayer, who hasn't fought since October through no fault of her own.
She was scheduled to fight Melissa Hernandez in New York on the undercard of a show featuring Michael Conlan in March before the pandemic forced its cancellation.
"After two hard back-to-back camps, not being able to step in to the ring both times, you can imagine how disappointed I am," Mayer said.
"However, these protocols were put into place for a reason and it's more important to care about the health and well being of my team and the people at this event."
The Nevada Athletic Commission mandated strict health and safety protocols when it allowed the return of combat sports late last month.
UFC has followed those testing procedures and safety measures during its two shows at the gym on its corporate campus, and Top Rank has done the same in its plan to hold two boxing shows in the upcoming week.
Tuesday's show will be headlined by unbeaten WBO featherweight champion and US Olympian Shakur Stevenson against Puerto Rico's Felix Caraballo.
'Mr.Cricket,' feels that CSK have a bit of an advantage as they have... READ MORE
Lewis entered a closed pitlane after Kevin Magnussen's Haas was... READ MORE
The 33-year-old is the top T20 batsman as per ICC rankings READ MORE
Messi joined up with the rest of the squad in the session taken by... READ MORE
Travel inspires people, and helps build vital social, cultural and... READ MORE
Bus services had resumed in Dubai and Sharjah weeks after they were... READ MORE
Wealth and power have not shielded rich countries from the awful... READ MORE
This was the highest successful run chase in the history of IPL. READ MORE