Three-yr-old alerts mom of fire in flat

ABU DHABI — An alert three-and-a-half-year-old Indian boy saved his mother and elder brother from death when a fire broke out in their residence in Madinat Zayed Souq neighbourhood in Abu Dhabi yesterday.



By Atef Hanafi

Published: Tue 24 Apr 2007, 8:53 AM

Last updated: Sun 5 Apr 2015, 1:43 AM

At the time of the incident, the boy’s mother was in the toilet. On noticing the fire, Arslan began to scream which caught his mother’s attention, the boy’s father Siddiqui Ghulam and his wife told this reporter.

Ghulam, who hails from the Indian city of Hyderabad and works with a cooking gas supplying company said, “When I was on duty, my wife phoned me at about 12.30pm telling me that a fire had broken out in their apartment (No 102 located in the building No 143 and owned by Mohammed Ali Humaid).

“I immediately rushed to my flat located in Electra Street neighbourhood. On reaching there at 1.15pm I found that the fire had destroyed most of contents in the apartment, including the two ACs in the two bedrooms. The three (his wife and two sons) managed to escape the scene, and were safe,” Ghulam said. “My eldest daughter was in school.”

“The fire started in the bedroom where my two sons were, and their mother was in the toilet,” Ghulam said adding “my youngest son started to scream when he saw the fire raging in the bedroom. The mother, who was not identified, said, “I came out from the toilet and saw the fire had gutted most of the contents of the apartment.

“The first thing I did was that I began to search for Adnan, who was outside the gutted bedroom,” she said, adding “I was very much worried because I did not see him due to the thick smoke that blanketed the place. I kept calling out to him till I found him, and immediately took him and his brother away from the flames after immediately closing the main switch of power supply and removing the gas cylinder from the flat.”

Meanwhile, the occupants of the multi-storey building and other good samaritans managed to put out the flames before the police and the fire-fighters arrived. “We had packed our things and were prepared to vacate the flat in two days,” Ghulam said. “I had packed all our belongings in six cartons as we had to shift to another flat on Tuesday.”

Police sealed the flat and barred entry to it until the arrival of the forensic laboratory personnel to collect samples of the burnt material and items for testing to detect the cause of the blaze.


More news from