Sharjah - They sustained second-degree burns.
Two teens - aged between 14 and 16 - sustained second-degree burns after the lighter gas they were inhaling inside a car with its windows tightly locked triggered a blast in Sharjah, Al Khaleej newspaper reported.
Dr Safwat Al Husseini, plastic surgery consultant at Al Qasimi Hospital, said that one of the injured teenagers is still in the hospital and being treated for the severe burns he has received. He sustained burns on most of his face and hands. These can be treated by patching the skin, but the lifelong scars will stay, he added.
He pointed out that the lighter gas is an aromatic, volatile compound that is part of the benzyl group of chemicals. It is a narcotic and psychotropic substance. Not only is it addictive, but it can also result in significant physical harm, including respiratory and circulatory system diseases, neurological damage, as well as loss of memory.
The lighter gas - butane - falls under the anti-narcotics laws. Security should be tightened in buying and selling this substance, especially to teenagers.