Small fire at Burj Dubai site causes brief traffic snarl

DUBAI - A small fire in the power supply unit at the under-construction site of Burj Dubai on Sunday halted work temporarily and brought the morning traffic on Shaikh Zayed Road to a standstill for over an hour, eyewitnesses and workers said.

By Our Staff Reporters

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Tue 19 Aug 2008, 1:36 AM

Last updated: Sun 5 Apr 2015, 5:07 PM

However, no casualties or injuries were reported at the site.

As thick fumes were seen in the area, people in the vicinity of Burj Dubai panicked. The fire in the power supply unit was brought under control quickly.

In a statement to Khaleej Times, Emaar, the developers of Burj Dubai, confirmed that a transformer supplying electricity to the area had caught fire. 'We confirm that there was a fire within the construction site of the Downtown Burj Dubai area due to a temporary DEWA (Dubai Electricity and Water Authority) transformer catching fire. The transformer provided power to the surrounding construction area.

The statement added that workers within the affected area were rested for the day, and that it would be functioning as usual from Monday.

The statement further stated, 'Emaar emergency personnel and Dubai Civil Defence team arrived quickly to the scene and took control of the situation. There were no injuries or damage to the property within the area. Authorities are working on restoring power to the area.

'Emaar has several safety initiatives and monitoring mechanisms in place to ensure the safety of personnel and property during construction.'

An eyewitness said the fire completely gutted the two power supply units within minutes.

However, referring it as a 'minor fire accident', Dubai Civil Defence officials said firefighters put out the fire quickly.

Construction workers at the Burj Dubai site were on Sunday seen queuing up to take their buses to accommodation as the day's work had been cancelled. 'The company told us to return home as the work for the day was cancelled,' said a worker.

Meanwhile, a Khaleej Times photographer who was on the site for pictures complained his camera was taken away by the police on duty in the area and the pictures deleted.

More news from