Short-circuit causes fire in Sharjah flat

SHARJAH — A fire broke out on Friday night in an apartment of the Giordano Building in Al Wahda Street due to electric short circuit, according to an official of the Sharjah Civil Defence. There were no casualties, but the loss of properties, including the belongings of Apartment No. 16 are approximately estimated at 75 per cent.



by

Afkar Ali Ahmed

Published: Sun 14 May 2006, 10:27 AM

Last updated: Sat 4 Apr 2015, 7:39 PM

He said the fire gutted all the belongings of Dr Iftikhar Ahmed’s family, but was put out in 30 minutes by fire-fighters who worked hard to prevent the fire from spreading to neighbours.

After the complaint was received at 9pm by the Emergency Room, a team of police and Civil Defence arrived at the site and evacuated the building which consisted of five floors.

Dr Iftikhar said all their belongings — including money, gold, documents and the original of education certificates and passports and his mother’s visa document — were gutted in the fire. “I don’t care about the loss of every belonging, but I’m worried about the loss of my original documents,” he commented.

Dr Shabeeba, the wife of Dr Iftikhar, said when she came from work, she entered the kitchen to prepare food for her daughter, then she smelt the smoke and saw the flames coming out of her bedroom. She carried her five-year-old daughter and ran out of the apartment.


More news from