Philippines not on travel ban list, says diplomat

DUBAI - The head of the Philippine mission in the UAE has denied a news agency report that the UAE has imposed an entry ban on Filipinos.

By Ramona Ruiz

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Sat 10 May 2003, 8:59 PM

Last updated: Wed 1 Apr 2015, 10:59 PM

An AFP report said yesterday that Taiwan and three Middle Eastern countries - the UAE, Lebanon and Kuwait - had imposed a travel ban on Filipinos due to fears over the SARS virus.

Philippine Consul-General and Charge d'Affaires Jose Arthur Ampeso told Khaleej Times yesterday that he had contacted UAE officials as well as the UAE's Embassy in Manila, and they denied there had been any ban, He said that, according to Philippine Ambassador Fortunato Oblena in Beirut, so far there had been no Lebanese ban on Filipinos entering the country.

Kuwait, however, has imposed a ban on Filipinos' entry. Mr Ampeso said that according to Philippine Ambassador to Kuwait, Bayani Mangibin, his embassy received an official note yesterday morning from the Kuwaiti Foreign Ministry stating that the Philippines was on a list of countries from where travel was banned. The embassy had been informed on May 7 that it was not on the ban list.



More news from