Passengers stranded as flights delayed

DUBAI & SHARJAH — Many passengers were stranded at Sharjah and Dubai airports yesterday following delay of two Air India Express flights - IX-368 bound for Calicut from Sharjah and IX-312 also for Calicut from Dubai.

By A Staff Reporter

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Thu 12 Jul 2007, 8:30 AM

Last updated: Sun 5 Apr 2015, 3:07 AM

The delay of IX-368 on Tuesday night in Sharjah, according to an Air India Express official, was caused by a snag in the aircraft while the Dubai-Calicut flight yesterday afternoon was delayed because of an operational hiccup.

Security personnel were called in after some passengers of IX-368 entered into heated arguments with the airline officials at Sharjah airport, an eyewitness said.

The trouble began after the airline official announced that the flight would take off only after the snag had been rectified, one of the stranded passenger told Khaleej Times. He, however, said the airline did offer hotel accomodation in separate hotels, but the passengers refused, saying they all wanted to be put up in one hotel only.

Confirming the delay, Air India official Jaishree Ramchandran said, “A technical snag was detected in the aircraft scheduled to take off for Calicut from Sharjah. As a result, we had to call for a machine part from India to rectify the error.”

She pointed out that following the delay , “We booked four hotels for the passengers but they wanted to stay together in one hotel only. But,we have technical difficulties to book one hotel for all the passengers.”

“So the passengers decided to stay at the airport instead of accepting our offer,” she said, adding that the airline had served them food and beverages at the airport.

The Calicut-bound flight IX-312 scheduled to leave from Dubai at 12.30pm yesterday was delayed because of Sharjah flight, the Air India Express official said.

Passengers of both the flights who remained stranded at the airports until late last night complained that the airline officials had failed to provide them with decent accommodation.

“Besides, the airline staff at the airport failed to give us a clear picture on the delay and an exact time of its departure,” said Rashid Ali, a passenger.

Another passenger Moosa Mohammed said, “Since Tuesday night all of us are waiting at the airport. I could not go out from the airport as my visit visa has expired. It is very difficult to wait for a single day at the airport.”

Both flights were expected to depart late yesterday night.

More news from